Chapter 14: A Grocery Stop

Wednesday, July 19th. . .
*First Draft*

I shut the passenger side door of the Patricks' Toyota Highlander, quickly buckling up as Nadine, Saige, and Drew take their respective seats.

They'd ended up staying at the diner today due to Edward needing to go back to the university for his 'weekly' hockey practice. Because, apparently, summer break doesn't mean they actually get a break from hockey.

What idiot came up with that idea?

So now it's 6:30 P.M. and Nadine is kindly driving me home because Mom has some important business to deal with that's going to make her a few hours late. Since I don't particularly like sitting around for hours on end, I chose this option when it was presented.

Thank you very much.

I glance over my shoulder at Drew and Saige as Nadine pulls out of the parking lot. Saige is happily playing on her darn electronic, as usual, while Drew has his attention down on his phone, earbuds plugged in his ears.

Hm, nothing interesting there.

I face frontwards again, folding my arms across my chest as I scowl at the sudden memory of Drew winning the bowling game yesterday.

I demand a rematch.

"I hope you don't mind, but I need to stop by the store real quick?" Nadine looks over at me as she comes to a stop at a red light. I shake my head, leaning over to perch my elbow on the door. "I don't mind." I tell her, placing my head down on my hand.

Nadine grins. "Thanks."

The two minute car ride to the nearest Walmart goes by in a flash, and suddenly Nadine's pulling up into a parking spot before she unbuckles and looks up in the rearview mirror at her passengers.

"Who wants to come with me?" She questions, adding some excitement to her voice. Saige's face immediately snaps up, a large smile lighting her face before she raises her hand.

"Me!" She shouts from behind me before quickly unbuckling and closing her gaming device. Nadine smiles softly, moving her gaze to the imprudent and 'emotionally' lacking Drew.

"What about you, Drew?"

Drew slowly tears his gaze away from his phone, glancing out the side window at the crowded parking lot a few seconds before settling his gaze back down on his phone.

"No thanks," he mutters, flicking his thumb as he undoubtedly scrolls through something.

Nadine looks slightly disappointed before quickly masking it with a smile. She looks over at me. "Nah. I think I'll just chill in the car." I answer her silent question, patting the seat.

She nods, climbing out of the vehicle and joining Saige outside.

I settle back against my seat, unbuckling as I turn up the volume on the radio. I tap my finger on my hand as I gaze out the front window, a yawn on the edge of my lips as I suppress the sudden exhaustion from a full day's work that's hitting me harder than a semi truck.

Finding myself completely and utterly bored, I twist in my seat to look back at Drew once more. He doesn't seem to notice me staring, or he's just learned to ignore it, still staring down at his screen.

I scrunch my face up in confusion.

If he's sensitive to light and he gets migraines due to that, then why does he spend so much time on electronics? Albeit he does turn the screen down, like, all the way. But still.

"How come you're on your phone so much when you're sensitive to light?" I question, readjusting my legs. He glances up at me with a blank face, and I continue. "I mean, aren't you worried you'll trigger a migraine?"