Chapter 10: Well, That Didn't Go As Planned

Saturday, July 15th. . .
*First Draft*

I stroke Miss Frizzles back, using my other hand to reposition her better on the spot she's chosen to take a nap: my stomach. Shifting my head, I glance over at the digital clock sitting on my dresser.

Ugh, I've only got about forty minutes before it's time for me to be at the Patricks', preparing to run.

Though, we're still on for the run, right? I didn't get a chance to ask him in-person yesterday. He'd gone and shut himself in his room soon after he'd made me promise not to say anything. I hardly saw him the rest of the day.

I could just show up, but I severely doubt he feels like running. Even if it was just from eating too much, you sometimes don't feel good after being sick the day after. I don't know what to do.

But on the off-chance he is still running, it'll look horrible if I don't show up.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my phone buzzing in an alert to a new text message. I stretch myself over to the right, slapping the small bedside tabletop a few times before I'm rewarded with the feeling of my phone underneath my palm.

Grinning in triumph, I run my my free hand down Frizzles back while I hold the screen up to my face. An unknown number flashes in my notifications, the message a simple "Hey." Not much to go on.

Already guessing to whom it belongs to, but not wanting to miss this chance at some fun, I type back a reply.

Me < "Who's this?"

Pressing 'send', I only have to wait a few seconds before there's a reply.

Unknown Number < "Really? It's Drew. Who the fudge would it be?"

I bite my bottom lip to contain a laugh, finding his personality a little different over text messages than in-person. More amusing.

Me <"No. It still doesn't ring a bell. Stalker?"

Unknown Number < "Do you enjoy making things difficult?"

Me < "Sometimes."

Unknown Number < "You suck."

Me < "Okay, okay. I apologize. I'm sorry. Forgive me? 🙏🏻"

There's a noticeable pause as I wait a few seconds longer for the reply, and I genuinely begin to wonder if I actually hurt his feelings. Am I even capable of that?

Unknown Number < "I'll let it slide this time."

I add him to my contacts, smiling at the nickname I've given him.

Me < "We still on for the run today?"

Scrooge < "Duh. Why wouldn't we?"

I roll my eyes. Is he really this clueless? Though, then again, most men are.

Me < "U were sick yesterday. I wasn't sure if you were feeling up to it."

There's another pause, this one longer. I fiddle with Frizzles ear, much to her amusement, holding my screen level with my face.

Scrooge < "I've run in worse conditions."

I scoff. Yup, that sounds like him. Nothing like a brisk morning and some exercise to make a cold or stomach bug worse.

Me < "Alright. But that can't be healthy."

Scrooge < "You could say my health isn't exactly on the top of my 'to do' list. See ya later."