Chapter One

Chapter One: Forever and Always

"Are you almost ready, love?" he called, checking his watch as he awaited his wife's arrival down the stairs.

"Coming!" he heard her delicate call as footsteps echoed from their room above.
Draco adjusted his Rolex again, thrown off by his wife's unusual tardiness. 

This was the first time the pair had had a night out in weeks, and Draco needed everything to go perfectly. He felt guilty being away for work as much as he was, so he planned to compensate for his absence with a night on the town. A night that was scheduled to begin twenty minutes ago. 

"How do I look?" Hermione asked anxiously, fussing with her sleek, brown curls.

"Just as beautiful as the day I met you," Draco assured her, causing a light blush to spread across her cheeks. The Slytherin loved that even after four years together, he could still make her blush like that. 
He took her arm in his and led her to the town car waiting outside.

"You certainly look dashing," Hermione remarked, her lips brushing his softly. The kiss slowly deepened, the bright lights of New York City twinkling in the background.

Draco smiled, recalling their first night together in Paris, which happened to be remarkably similar to this one. Hermione had just returned from a trip to Australia, where she had unsuccessfully tried to bring back the memories of her parents. When her attempts failed, the girl was heartbroken. Due to how close the pair had become in their continued seventh year at Hogwarts, Hermione turned to Draco for comfort. 

When he received Hermione's letter, Draco raced back to England to support his inconsolable friend. When he was called to France on work a few days later, Draco graciously invited her to spend the weekend in Paris with him. To his surprise, she agreed. Only in the city of romance did the two realize their true feelings for each other and fall in love. It was like something out of those muggle movies Hermione loved. For a while it was peaceful, easy. Draco took over his father's failing business and built it to be a strong corporation. Hermione worked as a writer at muggle magazine in France. 

The couple stayed there for a year, until Draco's mother fell ill. They moved back to England so that Draco could care for her, but there was only so much that he could do. 
Draco was devastated for months after her passing. Hermione had tried to be supportive, but in his grief, he had pushed everyone away. 
She eventually moved away from Malfoy Manor and to America, where she continued to write for the Times. Draco, after a few months, realized what he had lost and moved to North America to win Hermione back. A year later, they were married. 

"Are you alright, Draco?" Hermione asked, concerned at Draco's silence since they had entered the car.

"I'm fine. I'm just thinking about our lives together and how lucky I am," he kissed her nose gently.

She giggled and snuggled closer to her husband. 

"Draco?" she asked. 

"Yes love?"

"I wish you didn't have to work so much."

"I know, me too," he sighed. If it were up to him, he would spend every moment of his day with her. Draco regretted all those years he hadn't realized his feelings for her and vowed to make up for that time in their marriage. "I'll tell Jared tomorrow that I need more time off. And less traveling," he added, his heart warming at the grateful smile of his wife. 

"Good, because we're going to need you around more often now," Hermione said slyly, placing a hand on her stomach. 

At the mention of 'we', Draco turned to his wife. "You mean?" he breathed, waiting expectantly for her confirmation. Hermione's nod was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. 

"Hermione Jean Malfoy, I love you and our baby more than you'll ever know," he whispered.

"I love you too. Forever-" She began, waiting for him to finish.

"And always."

The soon-to-be parents cuddled tighter, lost in the bright lights of Manhattan.