Chapter 1 - Insatiable

We lived in a world where it was easy to coexist with one another whether they were human or supernatural. It was a very peaceful time. Everyone abided by the rules. The main one being that each species were able to live together, but love only their kind. Each race agreed with that law and for hundreds of years things were kept that way.

Like a monarchy, there were kings and queens. All of this was decided by the rank and strength of that person. Each race had an age. The age of the Humans had ended last night, and now was the rise of the Age of Angels. This usually meant that the king with the most power was an Angel. Anything he said or done must be carried out by everyone.

Life was simple. Even for me, a simple human girl who was a college student with relevance to the rest of the world. One minute I was there, the next I wasn't. I kept to myself. The university I went to was very diverse and it was easy to get caught up in other species. I didn't want to get in trouble for not following simple rules.

There was a soft tapping at my window. A small grin spread on my face as I sat up and looked outside. It was raining after it had snowed, that typically meant that I didn't have to go anywhere. I could stay in my apartment. My excitement was short lived when my phone rang.

My boss.

I groaned and grabbed my phone. I answered only to hear Thomas's voice on the other side.

"Xenia, please tell me you can come into work today," he begged.

I grit my teeth together in an attempt to not let my disappointment show. I sighed. "Yeah, I can. What time?"

"In the next three hours or so," he said with happiness in his tone.

"Be there soon," I said. "See ya!"

I hung up and smothered myself with a pillow. I screamed as loud as I could manage for a Monday morning.

Fortunately, I was on winter break so I didn't have to worry about school at all. Unfortunately, my job which used to be my internship would always call me in for work whenever I was on break. I was an assigner at a tech company. I actually wasn't a genius when it came to technology, I was more interested in the business aspect, but I couldn't turn down an internship that moved me halfway across the country. As an assigner, I was forced to give people things to do all day. Set up schedules. Manage things. I got a pretty lovely check every two weeks, so I wasn't complaining.

The workplace was slightly uncomfortable though. I never saw myself as a double-taking kind of attractive girl, but more of a 'hey, she's cute' kind of girl. I had many childlike features, not womanly features. I was a nineteen year old girl who looked sixteen. And boy, let me tell you, life has been hell.

My boss, Thomas, is a Castor, which is basically a nicer term for a wizard or a man who deals with magic-er, witchcraft. He's got this intense crush on me and it's really uncomfortable. Before I became his coworker, I was his assistant. I got to know him well, and he's a really sweet guy. But I'm forbidden to him at all costs.

After laying in bed for a while, complaining about going to work, I finally got up and took a shower. I dressed as comfortably as possible seeing as it was subzero outside. I slipped on a pair of knit leggings, a wool sweater, an infinity scarf, and snow boots. I let my hair down and cleaned my face and teeth. I made my way downstairs and made coffee seeing as I had no appetite for breakfast, besides, Thomas might have doughnuts and bagels at his desk. I went down to the garage and started my car, heating it up so it wouldn't be so cold when I began to leave.

I wasn't too used to the snow. I was born and raised in Arizona and it never snowed. Then I went to college in Arizona until there was an internship position in New York City, a place where winter's were extremely harsh. Although, I'd say I enjoyed it here more than Arizona.