Chapter 17 - The Keeper

I guess you could say I was frightened.

I guess you could say that I wasn't prepared.

I guess you could say I was a fool.

I guess you could say a lot of things.

Well, I can't help it. I love him.

Even if I wanted to defy the man, I would always find myself running back.

Wes ran a hand through his hair and just stared at me. I sighed and stared at him in return.

Wes threatened to feed me to Alaric if I even thought to leave. So I was stuck sitting in front of him until Alaric came to get me himself. It was annoying, but I felt that maybe since I had all this time I could get to know Wes. I don't know anything about him.

"Can we talk about how you got attacked?" I asked him.

"Sure, why not?"

"When I arrived, Jay was scratched up and still fighting. How come you were near death?" I asked.

"Before you turned me, I was deathly afraid of demons, and it's really because of what happened to me as a kid. Demons in general are twisted. Demons from the Darkness are undeniably the worst things ever created. They're sadistic fucks and grotesque as hell," he shook his head. "Anyway, whoever set this trap knew that demons rendered me powerless and sent me straight into shock, so I was no use to Jay. I still tried to fight anyway, and I did, but they knew I was the weakest link so they took me down and got the jump on Jay."

"That's when I showed up, right?" I asked.

"No," Wes chuckled. "Jay fought them off for a good ten minutes. Jay... he's always been strong, but something has given him immense strength. Jay should be dead, Xenia. He consumed their blood, not on purpose, but still. Jay's still alive and well and I don't understand why."

"Maybe Alaric gave him his blood," I offered. Wes laughed.

"We would die if we consumed Alaric's blood," Wes said amused. "He is the only one who can contain his own flesh and blood. Anyone else would die before they were able to relish in the feeling."

"Could Xen do anything about it?"

Wes paused for a second. "I think Jay's possessed."

I snorted. "What? Jay's himself."

"No, Xenia, I think Jay is fucking possessed," Wes repeated. "I couldn't see it because I was Darkness and he's being possessed by a demon of Darkness-and you won't be able to see it because you don't know what a possession looks like and-"

"Wes! Calm down! Take it slow," I said lowly. "What are you talking about?"

Wes leveled his eyes with me. "Yesterday, when I left, I said my farewells to everyone. Jay was the last person I saw. There was something off with him, he looked... different. He felt different, smelled different. I just thought it was because he was exhausted from fighting. Now... now, I'm sure that Jay's possessed."

"Okay, and how would you know this?"

"Darkness possessions aren't common, so it's not often when someone's looking for evidences of it. Since I'm an angel, it's mandatory that we learn about it. There's one specific kind of species that could possess."

"Demons," I said.

"Not all demons can possess," Wes corrected. "There's a specific bloodline."

I sighed. "Let me guess: Xen's."

"Yes."

"But it's not Xen, right?" I asked worried.

"No, of course it isn't. But if Xen didn't catch on to it last night, he knows now."