Chapter 4 - Everybody's Watching Me

• Xenia •

It was the most gentle caress I had ever felt before in my life. You could feel raw emotion just from that touch. It brought me to the conclusion that something had happened-something bad must have happened for me to be caressed like this.

It was sentimental, full of worry and fear....

Did something happen to me?

I finally opened my eyes and let them adjust to the dark room. My gaze lifted to my clock which stated that my morning was long gone and I had overslept. To oversleep meant that I was either extremely exhausted, or finally acclimated to the Californian time zone. I highly doubt it's the latter.

"I was wondering when you'd finally awake."

His voice was soft-spoken. Just like his caress, full of sentimental emotion.

I swallowed and cleared my throat before speaking. "Did you shut the blinds?"

He gave a soft brief chuckle. "I didn't want to wake you."

"You wouldn't have, nature would've handled the task for you."

I turned around. He was fully dressed with worry etched into his forehead.

"Spill it," I grumbled and sat up. He furrowed his brow.

"What?"

"Whatever's got those lines in your forehead. I know you're an Angel and all, but I'm more than positive you can get wrinkles too."

He squinted as if trying to process something.

"Xenia, do you not remember what happened last night?"

"Something happened last night?" I thought. "When did you get here?"

"I've been here since nine, yesterday."

"Was I here?"

"You were here, I showed up and we had sex."

I don't remember that.

"Are you sure?"

"Xenia, I am positive."

"That didn't happen..."

"You don't remember?" He asked. "You genuinely do not recall anything bad happening?"

"What supposedly happened that was bad?"

He grew silent.

"If you don't remember, I don't want to remind you. Just know that I was worried. You made me make a promise to you, and I intend on keeping it."

I gazed at his icy eyes.

"Which was?"

"To never reject you."

I blushed. "Now, why on earth would I request something like that from you?"

"It's a long story," he said lowly.

I held his gaze, it wasn't as cold and sharp as it normally was. It... melted.

"You don't have to tell me exactly, because I know you won't even if I asked. But I have a really strong feeling that you said something that hurt me. Badly."

"You're right," he said. "I wouldn't tell you, even if you asked."

I gave a soft chuckle.

"Yeah, it's worth a shot."

I climbed out of bed and stretched.

"It's three in the afternoon, don't you have stuff to do?" I asked him.