Chapter 9 - What I Would Give

• Alaric •

Elise was right. I didn't want to admit it, nor did I want to believe it, but she was right. Xenia had a knack for knowing and she didn't accept being out in the dark. She was the only one who didn't know anything about my true nature, and as long as she didn't know, nothing would happen. We'd be living in blissful ignorance.

But she doesn't want that.

She wants to know. Everything.

"Got a plan?" Wes asked as we watched the two girls swim and play around in the pool.

"Say you're going away," Jay said, "not like permanently or anything, just for a few weeks. Be back before her birthday."

"That sounds incredibly sketchy, Jay," I warned him. "And I do have a plan."

"Oh?" They said interested, "what might that be?"

"The truth," I said looking at both of them. "I've lied to her enough."

"Lied?" They asked. "You haven't spewed a damn lie yet!"

"It feels like I'm lying," I admitted, "having her not know what I do in the night. I'm sure she thinks I'm some sort of vigilante."

"Good, that means she thinks you're a saint," Wes said sharply, "that's not a bad thing."

"Considering, I'm the pure opposite of a saint, it's an insult."

I crossed my arms.

"Like she'll care?" Wes asked.

"She's going to care, Wes, this is Xenia we're talking about. She's been on edge since we got here due to the fact that she and Alaric are sitting on each other's arms," Jay sighed. "She's very precise about everything. She's a good girl."

More than they truly knew. Xenia was the purest girl I knew.

"She'll break your heart, you know," Jay said to me.

"I know."

"Well, as long as you do it back, we have nothing to worry about. Right?" Wes asked.

"I think finding out the truth about me will be enough," I said softly, "I won't need to do anything. She'll hurt herself."

That was Xenia. She was persistent and she didn't take no for an answer. She prodded and pried. She wouldn't stop until she was satisfied. But she was safer in the dark, safer from her fate and my destruction.

I just couldn't be so naive.

Soon she'll find out that her running into me was no coincidence.

Her fresh and pure blood...I couldn't miss it.

Elise and Xenia came rushing over to us completely drenched. Elise flicked water at all of us and giggled. Xenia held on to Elise and beamed.

Yeah, there was no doubt about it. She was exactly who I've been expecting.

"You seem off in a daze," Xenia teased.

"I've been awfully thoughtful," I said cocking my head to the side, "does it bother you?"

She bit her lip. Divine. "No, not really." Her lips pulled back in a small seductive smirk. What a nympho, she's become.

Who knew someone so good could be so bad?

"Good."

"Are you two done mentally fucking each other?" Elise asked with a sly smile. "I'm starving and I'm more than positive Xenia is too."