10. The Book Title

When it comes to writing, I strongly believe in first impressions and there are quite a few things that make the first impression for your book. A Book Title is one key element that has the potential to lure readers to your story. Those of you, who've been on Wattpad for a long time now, know that your story is practically discovered through your title.

For e.g: My recent searches- Gang leader, Mafia, Human mate.

I know, I know, you all must be wondering why the book title has come after five updates but it would make sense to you when you finish reading this update. To all those who have just started writing, to those who have finished writing and to those who haven't done either of the two, this update will ease your tensions regarding a perfect book title.

I remember struggling for a good title when I began writing and hence I researched and found some useful information that helped me generate a title for my book.

First of, it is not necessary that you come up with a title at the very start of your manuscript but some people think of a title first and then weave a story around it but then again, it's based on your perception of your story and your book as a whole.

Let's start with some basic tips.

1. Short and Crisp: Even though one of my books has a title with 5 words, I would recommend everybody to choose a short title.

2. Do not use Abusive words as your titles: 'Fu*k' What? Why the hell do you need to use such words in the title and then try to 'censor' them? No! People won't be attracted to your book if you set your title this way. And most of our parents don't let us buy hardcopy books that have such titles (XD)

3. Think of a way to incorporate the storyline in your book: 'The Hunger Games'. There is no better example for this. This way you have given the idea of your whole story to the reader, without actually giving any information. You get what I mean?

4. Genre specific: One way of creating a title is by making it complement the genre of your story. For eg: 'The Pharaoh- by Wilbur Smith', it is a very simple title and completely describes its genre 'Historical Fiction'.

5. Research and Read: My favourite way of approaching a title is this. Go on the internet and see the title of various books. Open any online library and you'll get inspiration.

6. Listen to your heart: the best way of choosing a title is by questioning what your heart says. If it says. "Yes, I love it!" Then go for it!

Undoubtedly, A Book title is a very important part of your story but don't waste more than a day in just thinking of title and utilise the time in WRITING!

This picture might help. I found it on Pinterest long time back but I don't have that board anymore so If anybody recognises it, please let me know. I'll give credits to the person concerned. 

Love,

Isha.