Chapter Two

15 votes and 12 comments until next upload! :)

“Taylor’s, in the water!”

I turn to look at the chubby instructor, who’s staring at me with an annoyed expression. Her whistle hangs over her white shirt that does no justice to her figure. Readjusting her brown hat, she continues to shoot me glares, waiting for me to jump into the freezing cold lake.

Slowly, I take a few steps forward until I’m closer to the edge of the dock. The other girl’s in my cabin are lined up beside me along with another girls Haven group, however because I’m the new girl, I have to go first.

“Did you not hear me?” Ms. Johnson yells again, her thick hands clenching into fists at her sides.

I bend forward, peering over the edge of the dock and into the water. Frankly, it doesn’t look very clean. Or warm. The sun has only risen ten minutes ago, making the air chilly. Melody rubs her hands over her coffee skin beside me, giving me a look.

“Hurry, or you’ll get in trouble,” she whispers through clenched teeth. I’d met both her and Scarlett last night and frankly, I’m much fonder of Melody. As nice and innocent as Scarlett seems, I know better than to trust her. Or, get on her bad side because I might get pushed off something very tall very soon.

“You mean this water?” I ask, stalling. I point a finger down towards the water as I stare at Ms. Johnson. “You mean right now?”

I hear Ember laugh on my right. She’s sitting at the very end of the dock, leaning back on her hands as she watches in amusement. Apparently she wanted to skip her meeting with Michelle to watch me brave the cold water.

“Get in the water now!” Ms. Johnson screeches and I shudder. I huge the sides of my over-sized red t-shirt. Melody had told me this morning that it’s better to wear something over my bathing suit so I don’t freeze to death. As it turns out, she’s right. Every single other girl here is wearing a t-shirt. Some even included shorts.

I take a cautious step towards the edge of the dock and slowly raise my foot over the water. Lowering it, I touch the frigid water gently and instantly retract my leg.

“You know what? I’m good.” I take a few steps away and hug my sides, not wanting to do this. “Swimming isn’t really my thing.” The girl’s all laugh, happy to have me delay their freezing swimming, but before I can say something snarky, Ms. Johnson is stalking towards me.

“Taylors,” she grumbles, coming towards me. My eyes grow wide when I see her face and I quickly start to make my way backwards towards Ember, who’s near the end of the dock. However before I can even get close, the chubby lady is standing in front of me, beyond miffed. “Don’t like swimming?” She plasters on an evil smile before firmly placing her hands on my shoulders. I don’t even have enough time to scream as she pushes me and I fly towards the cold lake.

Every muscle in my body shrieks as soon as I’m engulfed. I start screaming underwater, and as I resurface, I don’t stop. All the girls, including Ms. Johnson start laughing as I start to tread water.

“You fu-“

“Fudge-sickle!” Ember yells, cutting me off. I shoot her a glare before swimming towards the dock just as girl’s start climbing in.

“Oh, you think this is funny?” I ask with a smirk, pulling myself onto the dock. Ember nods as I walk towards her, grinning cunningly. “Well, I think this is too.” Before she can move, I lean over her and twist all the water out of my waist-length blonde hair, making sure to soak her head and torso.

“You suck!” She screams, covering her face in attempt to block the water.

I shrug, turning around. “If you can’t go into the water, I’ll bring the water to you!” I look back to give a smile which she returns as I head towards the beach.