Chapter Thirteen

Thirteen

“I think you should distance yourself from Danny.”

I stare at Michelle in complete shock. Around us, the waiting room is practically empty except for a few people here and there. Just moments earlier, Michelle sent Rhyson away to get us something to eat and drink from the café. Even though we’re next in line for me to get my wrist checked, an ambulance had come in bringing people from a serious car accident, so we have to wait.

“Uh, excuse me?” I have no idea how to react. The normally in control Michelle is advising me to stay away from Danny, which is completely out of her character.

“I know it’s your life, Gemma,” she says, leaning towards me. Lowering her voice, she starts to whisper. “I just think that you’re in the process of recovering and Danny, who as much as I hate to admit it, isn’t. I think that he can be toxic for you to get better.”

I laugh, trying to lighten the mood. Folding my arms across my chest, I avoid her gaze and instead stare at the far, white wall.

“I’m in a camp full of delinquents. You might as well scratch off Safe Haven and replace it with Delinquent Camp,” I snicker, but there’s no humour in it. “I’m sure that we’re all toxic for each other.”

“Gemma, I understand that you’re probably seeing me as trying to be controlling,” Michelle sighs, placing a gentle hand on my knee. “But I just want you to go home with a better lifestyle. You’re making great progress, and Danny is someone who is just going to bring you down.”

“Okay,” I snap, turning towards her. I jerk my knee out of her grasp and narrow my eyes at her. “Tell me why he’s going to bring me down. What’s so bad about Danny that I shouldn’t be around him rather than the other kids?”

“That’s confidential.”

I curse under my breath before rising to my feet. “Yeah? Then until you feel like you can give me a reason, I think you should distance yourself from me.”

Walking away, I pass a concerned looking Rhyson whose arms are full of coffees and food. He opens his mouth to call after me but a nurse cuts him off.

“Gemma Taylors?” A lady pokes her head out of one of the doors down a nearby hall.

“Yeah?”

“The doctor will see you now.”

“Thank effing god.”

~~~

“It’s good that you’re arms not broken,” Rhyson says, filling the silence in the back seat of the car. We’re still in the parking lot of the hospital while Michelle is outside on the phone, probably talking to Mike or Doreen back at Haven.

“Fractured still sucks,” I mutter, moving my cast awkwardly. I chose a bright pink one to match my hair but it still doesn’t make the stupid thing feel any better.

“The doctor said the pain meds should kick in shortly though. So it will be a bit better soon.” Rhyson gives a small smile, trying to look hopeful. It’s hard to see him in the darkness, as it’s around ten thirty at night. However the few lights cast a dim glow inside the car, making him barely visible.

“Great, then I’ll be all loopy.” I lean my head back against the seat, starting to grow tired. “Well, at least it will be you who’s dealing with how ridiculous I’ll be.”

“I can’t wait.” Rhyson grins as Michelle plops into the driver’s seat, buckling herself in.

“Are we good to go?”