Chapter Six

40 votes and 24 comments! :)

Six

“Who’s Rachel?” I ask Ember as we speed walk beside Michelle.

Ember rolls her eyes. “Some girl who has it in for Scar. Apparently they know each other back home, and Scarlett’s boyfriend was dumping her for Rachel.”

“Oh,” I mumble, as we head onto the trail. “I guess this isn’t the first time this happened?”

Ember shakes her head. “The first day here Rachel almost choked her to death.”

“Why don’t we hurry up?” Michelle snaps, her voice nervous as she breaks into a jog. “Where did you say they were, Ember?”

“In the clearing,” she repeats, as we try to keep up with Michelle.

I’ve never been to the clearing before, but when we get there, I can tell it’s exactly what I had imagined. It’s a small field of grass in the middle of the forest. The only thing I didn’t expect was the children’s playground. I mean, we’re all teenagers. What use does this really have?

“You stupid bitch!” A girl screams. I turn my attention to the small crowd that’s gathered around Scarlett and the girl I assume to be Rachel. Unlike the clearing, Rachel is the exact opposite of what I imagined her. For one, her hair is a dark blue, which I’ve never seen before. Her right arm is covered with some kind of tribal tattoo, and as we get closer, I can see that the middle of her nose is pierced.

“Just get over it already,” snaps Scarlett, folding her arms across her chest. No one has seen us approaching yet, not even the surrounding kids. “Maybe if you didn’t go after other girl’s boyfriends, I wouldn’t have pushed him.”

Rachel lets out a loud scream before lunging towards Scarlett, knocking her on her back. She starts to try and push Rachel off her, but it’s no use. Rachel sits on her stomach, pinning her down as she raises her fist to strike.

“Stop this right now!” Shouts Michelle, but no one even turns to look at her as Rachel punches Scarlett in the face. “Stop!” She continues to protest but with no one listening, she starts to look worried. “I’m going to go get the counselors,” Michelle tells us, before running off.

“Is no one going to do anything?” I ask Ember, watching in shock as Rachel throws another punch, hitting Scar right in the face.

“I already tried,” Ember mutters, rubbing her shoulder.

“So much for being a good friend,” I mutter, jogging forward. I start to push my way through the thick crowd, shoving kids out of my way until I’m in the middle. “Get the fuck off her!” I screech, my hands clenched into fists at my sides. No one pays attention to me but instead, stares down at Rachel, who has her fingers wrapped around Scarlett’s throat. “Screw this,” I mutter, marching towards them.

“What are you doing?” A guy yells.

Ignoring him, I sprint the few small feet forward and barrel into Rachel’s side, knocking her off Scarlett and onto the ground. I hear a few cheers as I pin her onto the grass and pull my fist back. However, before I can hit her, I suddenly feel a sharp pain in my stomach. Upon instinct, my other hand goes to the pain but I quickly move it as Rachel repeatedly punches me.

“Bitch!” I scream, slapping her as hard as I can in the face. Apparently, it doesn’t faze her but instead, gives her the chance to throw me off of her. Separated, we both jump to our feet, preparing ourselves.

“Come on,” she pants, standing on the other end of the circle. “Prove to me you’re not just some anorexic little bitch!”

Clenching my teeth and my fists, I charge forward, ready to attack her. But before I can get close, I feel strong arms around my own, pulling me back. I struggle, trying to get out of them but it’s no use. Whoever’s holding me is much, much stronger.