Chapter Twenty-One

Twenty-One

        “Why would you say that?” Rhyson snaps, shoving Danny backwards. He hits a tree behind him but doesn’t move as Rhyson takes another step forward. “I wanted to tell and you constantly begged me not to! Why now?”

            I kneel behind a bush and lean on my hand so I can peek out around the corner. Danny looks afraid, and slightly angry. However he probably knows better than to pick a fight with Rhyson.

            “She’s upset, Rhyson!” he says defensively. “I think she deserves to know the truth!”

            “I don’t think you’re in the position to tell her!”

            “Why? Because it will screw up your chances?” Danny smirks and Rhyson shoves him into the tree. There’s a small cracking sound and some of the bark falls off, landing at Danny’s feet.

            “Because it’s not the right time, Danny.” He lowers his voice and grabs his shoulders, making sure that Danny’s meeting his eyes. “Not now. Soon, but not now.”

            Danny shrugs Rhyson’s arms off and starts massaging one of his shoulders. “What’s the difference?”

            “There’s something about Gemma that we all don’t know.”

            For a moment, both of the boys are silent. Then, Danny takes a few steps away, his shoes snapping trigs as he paces.

            “Then how do you know there’s something?” He briefly meets Rhyson’s eyes before walking a few more steps.

            “I saw her do something.”

            Danny rolls his eyes as he throws his hands up in the air. “What, get undressed?”

            “No,” Rhyson snaps, smacking Danny hard in the shoulder. “It has to do with what happened to Scarlett.”

            My mouth falls open and the Tootsie Pop that I had been sucking on falls into the dirt.

            “Aw, shit,” I mutter, picking it up. It’s covered in dirt and grass; no longer even close to edible.

            I quickly close my mouth, realizing I had just spoken out loud. Slowly, I raise my head only to find Rhyson and Danny looking directly at me. Rhyson looks angry, but Danny just looks plain shocked.

            “Double shit.” I drop the sucker and rise to my feet, giving the boys a small wave. “Hey, there you guys are! I was looking for you!”

            “Gemma, what the hell are you doing here?”