Chapter Twenty-Two

Twenty-Two

        I listen to my quiet footsteps as I walk down the dock. The sun has barely peaked over the horizon, making me probably the only one up at this early time. I run my fingers over my cast-free arm and smile.

            It’s been only a day and I’m probably pushing my luck, but believe it or not, I’ve missed the feel of the cool water, especially in this heat wave. All summer it hasn’t decided to break and as it’s coming to a close, I wonder if we’re ever going to get rain.

            Peeling off my oversized sweater, I’m left in my bathing suit. I wonder if Ms. Johnston will get the news that I’m now allowed in the water, however I hope not. I’m planning on skipping her morning swim class like I have most of the summer.

            I take a few steps back before running and launching myself off the dock. For a moment, I’m suspended in the air. I put my hands out in front of me and dive, feeling the cool water rush over me. I stay under water as long as I can, happy to have this moment alone. However when I finally surface, I’m no longer by myself. There’s a figure sitting on the dock, his ankles in the water as he watches me.

            “I was wondering when you were going to come,” I smirk, pushing my hair over my head so it’s out of my eyes. “I guess you’re not here to swim?”

            Rhyson still hasn’t brought up the conversation I heard while spying on him and now seems like a good time to have it, whether I want to or not.

            “Actually, I am.” I raise my eyebrows as he climbs to his feet. “That is, if it’s alright with you.”

            “It’s fine,” I reply, leaning onto my back. I float along the top, staring at the sky. Out of the corner of my eye I watch as he pulls off his t-shirt, revealing the familiar scar that I still don’t have an explanation for.

            I hear Rhyson splash into the water and within moments, he surfaces next to me. He pushes his bangs out of his eyes and smiles.

            “So is this where we have the unwanted conversation about what I heard?”

            Rhyson shakes his head as moves around until he’s on the other side of me. He stops treading water for a moment, feeling for the bottom. Then when he finds it, he stands normally.

            “Why not?” I ask, turning my head to look at him.

            “Because neither of us is going to be happy with how it will go. I’m not explaining what I was talking about and you’re not going to tell me why you thought it was a good idea to follow me.”

            “Okay,” I nod, stretching out the word to fill the silence. “Then maybe we can have a different conversation?”

            Rhyson smiles. “What did you have in mind?”