Chapter Twenty-Five

Twenty-Five

        I can’t stop shaking.

            My hands tremble, creating unnecessary waves in the water as I try to remember how to paddle. I feel like a fish that’s flopping around on land; I know where I have to go, but I can’t seem to get there.

            Finally I get a good grip and push the kayak forward. I coast in it along the top of the lake, not going nearly as fast as I should be. The storm has let up, causing a thin fog to creep along the edges of the lake. I’m thankful that it’s not impairing my sight, but I feel as if it is. I’m too in shock to remember how to get back.

            It’s like when you have a dream and you know you have to call nine-one-one, but just can’t manage to type in the numbers. Only in this case, instead of phoning nine-one-one, I have to get back to Safe Haven, and then phone.

            I laugh bitterly, tears streaming down my cheeks. For something that’s supposed to not only be safe, but also a haven, it sure isn’t living up to its name.

            When I finally near shore, I jump out of the kayak and leave it floating in the water. I start rushing through the water, but feel as if it’s trying to push me back. Unaware, Rhyson runs towards me and grabs my arms, helping me to land.

            “Gemma?” His voice seems distant, like I’m passing out. But I’m too stunned to even try to spit words out. As I step onto the sand, I collapse onto my knees, feeling my stomach heave.

            When I look up several minutes later, a small crowd has gathered around me. They’re all speaking at once. I can see their mouth’s moving but I can’t hear a sound. Their bodies move like there’s three of each person and I squeeze my eyes shut.

            I feel Rhyson squeeze my shoulder and I take a deep breathe. I have to do something; I have to tell them.

            “There’s a-an island,” I whisper, my words coming out in awkward pieces. “D-Danny’s there.” I feel the bodies move away, most likely Michelle and the Haven counselors. Looking up, I see they’re running towards an emergency boat on the far end of the beach. “Wait!”

            No one stops but Michelle. She turns around and meets my eyes, pausing for me to continue.

            “What is it, Gemma? We need to hurry and get him.”

            I struggle to my feet and shove Rhyson away. I stumble and he grabs my elbow, steadying me.

            “Danny he-he’s-“ I can’t manage to say the word.

            “We don’t have time for this, Gemma!” Michelle calls. “Tell me already!”

            I shake my head, growing angry with the way she’s going about this.