Chapter 2

The following day, I resumed my chores as per usual. In the morning when I woke up, I made my brothers and father their breakfast for the day. It was the same thing every day. One egg per person, sunny side up with finely sliced potatoes cooked in butter. Mum and I had an apple and some leftover potatoes from the boys. I was fine with it, it didn't bother me.

            "Good morning my Emerald," my mother greeted me as she walked out of hers and my father's bedroom. "You didn't have to start without me," she said.

            "I wanted to," I replied with a smile. "Besides, the potatoes take forever to make, slicing them that is."

            My mother looked at me with concerned eyes since I haven't eaten yet. I felt bad ignoring my health to feed the rest of my family, but I knew this is what a good wife would do, if I ever got married. I looked at my mother as she peeled some potatoes and began slicing them as well. She would occasionally take a slice and pop it into her mouth.

            "Why do you think Dad doesn't want me trying to be Princess?" I asked her quietly. "You did."

            "I know, your father has always been a pessimistic man," she said with a sigh. "I love him; don't get me wrong, he just thinks of what would be best for the family."

            "Mum, think of the money you would receive just by me marrying Prince Harry," I said quietly. "The farm would be good again. We could get more chickens."

            "I know, sweetheart," she smiled. "Your father is adamant on Niall, though. He's been talking with his father, Bobby for a while now. You know they came from an island off the shore, right?"

            "Yes, of course," I nodded.

            Niall Horan is a boy who lived just down the road from us. His family did a lot of fruits; they had at least three hectares of apple trees and cherry trees. They also had long lines of strawberry bushes growing. It was a stunning farm. The only downside is that they had to make a lot of money at one time and save it during the winter. That is why they have sheep and shear them to make clothes to sell during the winter months.

            He was a nice boy, I admit, very loud, too. Niall would sit with his friends singing songs loudly on the benches near my house. His father was a good craftsman and had crafted him a guitar that he played on nonstop when he could. He always sang songs he made up, but he was good. He had a nice voice.

            "I think we're having dinner together soon, your father wants to discuss the terms on your potential engagement," she sighed. "I personally think you will be asked to the palace."

            "I kind of hope that too, mum. Just to get away from here for a while," I said quietly. I honestly just wanted to get away from my father for a while; he was seriously going through with me getting married.

            "Morning mum," Lucas said walking over to mum and kissing her cheek. "Emmy," He said giving me one as well. Mum smiled at him proudly and continued making breakfast.

            "Lucas," she said. "Would you be so kind as to fetch a potato from the shed for your sister? Clean it, peel it, and slice it please."

            "Sure can do," he nodded with a grin to me. I watched as he walked out of the house in his usual bouncy step manner. I looked back at my mother who had busied herself with putting the potatoes into the pan over the fire I had started.

            The sizzling sound had begun as she plopped food items onto the pan my stomach growled at the sound. My brother came into the house and peeled the potato and sliced it placing it on the counter next to me. I didn't really want to eat as I was cooking and I think he sensed this because he grabbed a slice and plopped it into my mouth.