Chapter 9

The next day was hectic and I honestly didn't know my way from left or right. The palace had so much chaos I felt like I was in a constant state of nearing a panic attack. Maids were everywhere, cleaning the walls, the curtains, the floors, everything. I just kind of hung out in my room all morning not wanting to be in the way of anyone.

"Emerald," I heard a kind voice said as I watched some of the maids clean the portraits outside my door. I turned to see Queen Anne coming towards me with a smile. "I just wanted to run some stuff by you for tonight's ball. Do you mind if I come into your room?" 

"No, not at all," I smiled stepping off to the side for her to come in. "Sorry about the mess, Trish and her daughters have been in and out of here all day doing last minute fixes on my dress."

"It's no worries, Gemma's room is far worse than this," she laughed. "I just wanted to talk to you about how a ball typically goes. First things first, there will be a lot of important people so do try and be nice to them. You're a lovely girl, some of them just get the wrong impression off of people. The whole time, you will be with Harry as you are his date. If he were to ever leave your side, do your best at mingling with other people until he comes back. Oh, I must warn you about Sir Benjamin, he's a little handsy so if he were to come onto you like that, find one of us," she said with a smile. "I'm excited for tonight, my daughter finally is meeting her future husband. How exciting?"

"Very," I smiled. "May I ask if Gemma is in her room? I wanted to give her something," I said to the queen.

"She is, she is also very bored," Queen Anne laughed. "Her state room is down the hall, last door on this side. I'll be back in my quarters if you need anything, Emerald."

I nodded and picked up the paper bag Harry had placed the book in. I chuckled to myself as I thought of yesterday's events. I closed my door behind me and walked down the hall and knocked on Gemma's door a few times.

"The door is open," she said. I opened it and found Gemma lounging on her bed with a book propped up in front of her face. She set it down and smiled at me. "Well, well, well, look who is still here!"

"That I am," I smiled with a laugh. "Happy Birthday, Gemma."

"Thank you!" she grinned. "What's that? A present?"

"Yes, your brother wouldn't let me wrap it because he never wanted it taken out of this bag," I laughed and handed her the bag. Gemma was laughing as she opened the bag and took the book out. She looked at it and burst into laughter.

"Oh my god!" she laughed. "Harry was with you when you got this? How awkward!"

"I needed him to read me the title," I laughed. "He didn't understand why I had to get you that book. It reminded me of our talk from the other day."

"Thank you," she laughed wrapping me in a hug. "It will go on my good books shelf," she said with a smile. I watched as she sauntered over to her shelf and placed it on there. I smiled happily to myself watching her.

"I can't wait until your birthday," she grinned to me. "Hopefully you'll be thinking of my brother at that point in time," she laughed and made a buzzing noise with her tongue. I didn't fully understand what she meant by this, but I stifled a laugh.

"Emerald," Gemma said wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "What makes this even funnier is that you have no idea what I am talking about."

"Shut up," I laughed pushing her off of me. Gemma let out a loud laugh and smiled to me.

"You know, if you and my brother get together some time soon, I may give you your birthday present earlier than expected. What do you say to that?"