Chapter 40

Over the next few days, the palace became a place of talk for the ball. Every time I heard something about it, I smiled at the thought of Christmas. Trish, her girls, and me were already discussing what kind of dress I would wear and they asked what kind of jewelry from Zayn I would like. The choices they were giving me was intimidating. What if I made the wrong choice? I was afraid they wouldn't look good.

I walked down the long corridors towards Anne's powder room. She had asked for me to come and talk with her about something. My heart was racing over the thought of what it could be that she wanted from me. I walked up to the door and pulled it open as no guards were there.

Anne was brewing some tea when I walked in. Her head popped up to look at me when she heard my shoes clicking against the hard wood floor. A warm smile appeared on her face mirroring her son's smile. 

"We're sitting here," she smiled gesturing to the table with a large stack of books. I sat down in a chair immediately crossing my legs. "I wanted to discuss the ball with you. The obvious Christmas ball."

"Of course," I nodded looking up at her with a smile. 

"Since you've been in our household for months now, the chances of you being asked to leave is slim. I have hopes of you becoming my daughter-in-law and I thought I would give you control of the ball," she smiled. "I would oversee everything before it's good to go, but I wanted to see how you handle this."

"Really?" I asked with shock written over my eyes. "I am in charge?"

"Yes," she nodded with a laugh. "Should I have one of the maids bring these books to your room? They have designs and such that we can order."

"Yes please," I nodded enthusiastically. "Thank you so much for this."

"It's no problem at all, dear," Anne smiled pouring a cup of tea. "Are you okay with me dropping this on you?"

"Of course!" I nodded quickly, a smile appearing on my face. "Christmas is my favorite holiday, I'm more than okay with it."

"Good," she smiled to me. "Colors and card design need to be chosen by tomorrow so our guests know what to wear. The guests are always standard for balls, it's important people from Ula for the Christmas one."

I nodded looking over at the pile of books in awe. The fact that I was being left in charge of the ball amazed me. I loved it. I adored that they were trusting me with putting an event together, it made me even more excited for the ball than I already was. 

I stood up from my chair and straightened out the floor length dark purple dress I had on. I looked at Anne with a smile on my face before pushing my chair in. My blue eyes looked over the stack of books not wanting to take my eyes off of them. 

"That is all I wanted to discuss with you," Anne smiled. "I'll have Eleanor bring them to your room in a bit."

"Thank you," I smiled giving her a small curtsey before walking out of the room. 

I made my way to the main staircase. I paused to look at the pretty decorations for what feels like the millionth time since they were put up. I felt a hand slid down my side pausing at my waist. A smile formed on my lips, I turned to see Harry standing behind me in a nice outfit. He had on a pair of tight dress trousers that were black, a black dress coat, and a white shirt with ruffles.

"What have you been up to?" I asked looking him up and down.

"Spending some time with my Dad in some boring meetings," he said giving me a sarcastic smile. "Joy isn't it?"

"It couldn't have been that bad," I laughed. Harry gave me a look before opening the briefcase that I hadn't noticed before. He pulled out a yellow pad of paper and handed it to me with a look that said 'I told you so.'