eleven; real life

SEBASTIAN'S SORT OF CHILDHOOD HOME was familiar to Caterina, and as she walked into the house, she felt a sense of ease that hadn't been there when she woke up, nor when they got on the plane, nor when they landed. All she had thought about since waking up was how to break it to her super strict parents that she had gotten married, and without anyone knowing, no less. It began to stress her out to the point where she was dragging her nails along the inside of her palm, an anxious tick she couldn't help. Sebastian noticed this once he set down their bags, quick to take her hands in his.

"Hey, don't worry about this, okay? You don't have to see them until tonight, and you're an adult, Cat. They have no say in what you do," he assured softly, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"I know, I'm just-"

"Is that my favorite child I hear?" a voice sounded, footsteps following. Sebastian let out a soft groan followed by a half chuckle, turning to greet his mother with open arms.

"Mamă, buna!" he replied, pulling her close, amusing Caterina at their distinct height difference. Sebastian towered slightly over his mother, which was no surprise, but was still something hilarious. She uttered a soft chuckle, making Georgeta pull away from her son.

"Sebastian, ar fi trebuit să mi-a spus că avem companie!" she chastised, poking his arm lightly. He laughed, sharing a look with Caterina before she spoke up.

"He did tell you I was coming, I hope, but sorry for showing up unannounced anyway," she explained, embracing the woman as she approached. When she pulled away, Georgeta raised an eyebrow.

"You know Romanian?" she asked curiously, and Caterina nodded eagerly.

"Since about my sophomore year of college. I learned it for that dork of a son you have."

"Hey!" Sebastian interjected, Caterina throwing a grin his way.

"You know I love you, Seb. Don't be dramatic," she teased, grabbing her bag as Georgeta motioned them up the stairs. Sebastian followed the two most important women in his life, smiling fondly at how easily they carried a conversation, and how it felt like they had never left New York.

"Well, you know your room, dear," Georgeta said to her son, moving so he could step inside. She smiled softly at Caterina, tilting her head. "Are you staying here, or going home?"

"Uh, here, if it's alright," Cat replied quickly, not wanting to be rejected.

"Of course it is," she responded, parting Caterina's shoulder. "Here, I'll let you two settle in, and I'll go make tea."

"Thank you, mamă," Caterina called as Georgeta walked down the stairs, not seeing the large smile on the older woman's lips. She had been waiting much too long for the girl to call her that, and it was much appreciated.

"Mm, dare I say you're my mother's favorite child?" Sebastian remarked as Cat entered the room, watching her face light up as she took in her surroundings.

"I haven't been here in forever. It feels like we're back in high school. The last time I was in here, we were... studying. For that stupid French final. Has it been that long?"

"You aced that final anyway, you didn't even need to study. But yeah, it's been forever." he laughed, putting his clothes in the drawers of his dresser.

"C'mon, unpack, don't be getting cold feet now," he teased, and she sighed, beginning to do just that. The two worked in silence for a while, finishing around the same time. Caterina flopped back onto the bed, laughing softly.

"Exactly how I remember it, how amazing," she remarked. Sebastian laughed, laying down next to her.

"I'm surprised I still fit, it's been a while. You know, the last time we were in here alone, we were watching that one movie you were obsessed with."

"Oh, right! Because that kid- uh, Evan!- was studying with us for French." she grinned, looking over at him. He smiled back, leaning closer to her.

"Yeah. The last time we were in here alone, I couldn't do this." his smile grew, and he moved to connect their lips. Cat laughed, pulling away just as their lips grazed.

"Seb, your mom is right downstairs!" she whispered in mock rage, shaking her head.

"I just want to kiss you, Caterina, it's not like we're doing anything else," he replied, raising an eyebrow. "May I kiss you, please?"

"Okay," she replied with a playful laugh, ignoring the slight worry in her gut. This time, she allowed him to connect their lips, neither turning it into something more. He was the first to pull away, opening his eyes to a pout on her lips as she pulled him back in.

"Hey, weren't you the one who just said my mom is right downstairs?" he asked with a chuckle, and she shrugged, smiling at him.

"I was," she replied, pulling him closer again. He shook his head but didn't object, only for them to be interrupted by her phone ringing. She sighed, rolling onto her back to answer it.

"Oh, uh, hi, mum," Cat whispered, sending Sebastian a panicked look. He grinned, taking her hand to reassure her. "Uh, yeah, we landed not too long ago. I'm at Seb's, I'll come over tonight. Alright. Love you too, bye."

"That went well," he said once she hung up, and she rolled her eyes, smiling as she heard Georgeta call for them.

"You want to see my parents later?" she replied, moving to stand from the bed. He laughed and followed suit, taking her hand to lead her downstairs.

"I'd love to, actually. We can have dinner with them?"

"I'll ask her, but I'm sure it'll be just fine." she followed him down the stairs and into the kitchen, settling at a stool at the bar. She admired the quaint kitchen, remembering how nice it had been to them as teenagers. Sebastian had given his mother every opportunity to have something nicer, had tried to give it to her, but she seemed much too content where she was, and he respected that. Caterina had always admired him for that.

The three caught up quickly, their laughter shared and echoing throughout the home. But soon, it was time to visit Caterina's home, and the feeling of dread that had left her filled her stomach once more as the couple departed to her home.

"Hey, it's fine," Sebastian reassured as they stood outside her door, knowing she was terrified. "They love you, and it'll be fine."

"Thank you, Seb." she smiled, moving to kiss him before they went in. That's when the door opened, and she froze, heading the very clear voice.

"Well, then, what's this?"

--

[08.01.18]

ooooOOOOoooo

me, at seberina: