13

Scott is a little nervous when he gets on the plane for the trip to California. He's never been on a plane before, so it is freaking him out a bit. Stiles assures him that it will be fine. Scott wants to believe him, but he's still anxious. He ends up taking the window seat (which might have been a bad idea, now he thinks about it), Stiles in the middle seat and Stansfield in the isle seat. Stiles and Stansfield are talking about something to do with the seminar as they take their seats and buckle up, like it is such a normal thing for them. Poor Scott doesn't even know to put the seatbelt on. He just sits and stares straight ahead at the seat ahead of him, wide eyed and body completely stiff. He only moves again when he feels a hand shaking him.

"Yo, Scotty, you okay? You've gone a little pale there." Stiles asks in a light tone, but Scott catches the worry underneath it. Scott turns to Stiles and gives him a nervous smile and laugh.

"Uh, I don't know. I've never been on a plane before, and uh, I don't even know how to put my seatbelt on..." Scott mumbles, a little embarrassed. He's glad that Stansfield is talking to one of the hostesses at the moment, not paying Scott or Stiles any attention.

"Oh, okay. Fair enough. Here, I'll help you." Stiles chuckles, reaching over and helps Scott put his seatbelt on.

"All you have to do to unbuckle it at the end of the flight is flick this backwards, which they will show you in the safety demonstration in a minute. I can help you as a last resort." Stiles says as he finishes doing up the seatbelt and sits back in his seat again. He looks over at Scott for a moment.

"Are you nervous?" Stiles asks. Scott nods his head quickly.

"Don't be. I've been on a lot of planes in my life, and they have all been fine. This one won't be any different." Stiles tries to calm Scott down.

"Okay..." Scott responds, not sounding convinced.

"If worst comes to worst, you can just hold my hand. I won't let anything bad happen to you, I promised you that right at the start." Stiles, blushing immensely as he realized what he just said. Wow, you're an idiot and a half, Stiles. Good one, Stiles thinks to himself. He notices Scott's cheeks turn tomato red as well and Scott can't meet Stiles' eyes now.

"Yeah, um, thanks..." Scott mumbles in response, shifting in his seat trying to get more comfortable. Stiles is completely and totally embarrassed now. You can count on him messing things up. Stiles wants to kick himself, but he also doesn't want to make himself look even more stupid to the people around him. He just hopes Scott will be able to forget about the whole thing. Stiles doesn't want to apologize because Scott then might think that Stiles was thinking that the hand holding thing could be more than a friends thing. Stiles doesn't want Scott to get the wrong idea. Stiles really didn't mean anything by it, and maybe he is just overthinking everything, but he would hate to be the cause of the end of their friendship.

"You'll be fine." Stiles reassures Scott again, but Scott doesn't answer this time. Stiles tries his best not to be concerned by Scott's sudden quietness. Scott turns towards the window and stares out of it intently. Stiles can tell that Scott is still nervous about the flight, but Stiles is sure Scott will be fine once they are up in the air. Stiles sighs and leans his head back against the head rest.

Eventually, when the plane takes off, Stiles' theory turns out to be correct. Scott relaxes a lot more when they are up in the sky. He's actually quite amazed.

"Woah, this is so cool. We are really actually flying!" Scott exclaims excitedly, tugging on Stiles' arm, wanting him to look out the window to see the clouds floating below them.

"Yeah, I know, Scotty." Stiles chuckles in amusement.

"It's just... I've never seen anything like it." Scott says as he stares out the window in awe, very happy that he decided to sit here now.