16

Finally, Stiles has had enough of the crowd's behaviour and gives up on trying to calmly reign the Q & A back in peacefully, because it's obviously not working, and Stiles hates seeing Scott look so terrified, shrinking in on himself. Stiles should have known this would happen. He was dumb not to see this happening. People are insensitive, and none of them knows or understand the pain, heartache and torment that Scott has been through. Besides, this isn't supposed to be Let's Goggle Over Scott Show. This seminar was mainly supposed to be about Stiles' work and research on glaciers and how that can impact the world.

"I think that's enough questions for Scott today, thank you very much," Stiles speaks up over everyone else's voices, and he glared around the room, which slowly makes the journalists, scientists and students stop talking.

"Scott surviving what he went through is honestly a miracle. We still don't know how it is possible, but some things in life will always be a mystery. Maybe this will be one of them. Anyway, the important thing now is to try and get him to adapt to today's society and fit in, trying to get his life back on track as much as possible." Stiles tells the group in a slightly sterner and snappy voice than he wanted or expected. He doesn't add the fact that Scott is only human, just like everyone else in the room, and that means he shouldn't be inspected like he's some fascinating object.

Scott stares at Stiles in awe for a moment, his heart filling with warmth at the fact that Stiles is standing up for him and defending him, even towards a crowd that could have influence or help improve and drag down Stiles' life's work. Scott does his best to make sure that his mouth doesn't accidentally drop open as he stares at Stiles. That would be very embarrassing, especially in front of all these people. It just surprises him that Stiles is so easily willing to defend him, but it makes Scott feel happy and valued by at least someone in this strange new world.

"Unless you guys have any questions about global warming or the melting of ice glaciers, thank you all for your attention and your time. I hope that you have all gained something from my talk today." Stiles announces loudly, but calmly to the audience, with an air of finality in his voice. Stiles glances over at Jenny and gives her a slight nod, signalling her that it is time to wrap up this whole talk. Jenny nods back in understanding and stands up, walking up onto the stage as well, wrapping up the whole seminar and thanking Scott, Stiles and Stansfield for coming and sharing their interesting and unique story. The crowd starts to clap politely, which Stiles gives them a small smile and a shy, awkward bow in return. Meanwhile, Scott just blushes, and subconsciously shuffles closer to Stiles, almost as if he is trying to hide behind him, like Stiles can protect him from this crowd somehow. It's a ridiculous sentiment, and Scott knows that the crowd in front of him won't hurt him. Probably.

Still, Scott feels safer by being close to Stiles. To be honest though, in Scott's defence, Stiles never seems to mind their closeness. In fact, Scott would go as far to say that Stiles appreciates it. Scott can understand why Stiles would feel that way; it's clear that Stiles hasn't let anyone, not even Danny, come close to him ever since his father and girlfriend died. Scott is starting to suspect that Stiles was crushing on Lydia a few years ago because he knew that she would never be interested in him. It would be safer to crush on someone that will never return the feelings for you rather than risk having someone fall for you and try to get close to you, possibly getting hurt. At least, that's how Scott has been able to analyse Stiles' romantic life or lack thereof. Scott is once again glad that Stiles for some reason has allowed Scott to be in his life and be open and vulnerable to him.

Stiles and Scott stand on the sage with Jenny for a few minutes as they watch as everyone slowly files out. Stiles turns to Scott and gives him a grin.

"There. It's all over and done with now. It wasn't that bad, was it?" Stiles tells Scott in an encouraging tone.

"No, it wasn't." Scott agrees, ignoring the fact that everyone had started asking him really personal questions that he isn't ready to answer yet. It still wasn't as bad as Scott thought it was going to be. Besides, the main thing is that Stiles has gotten to share his research, his passion and message with people. Stiles is happy. That's what is important. This is the least that Scott could do for him after all that Stiles has done for him ever since Stiles had found him that day, trapped in ice.