Chapter 4: The Lazy Song

A/N: YAY! THIS CHAPTER HAS FINALLY ARRIVED! (are there people still reading this book? No? Okay!) Just a small warning my lovelies, this chapter is pretty damn long. So I hope this makes up for the two month absence of this book. Enjoy!

***

April 21, 2011. San Francisco. 3:54 pm

It was nearly the end of another busy day at Tea Garden Cafe as I wiped another cold bead of sweat across my forehead, before taking a step back from the sanitized table.

I huffed out a huge breath in relief as I then brought my wrist up and flicked it over to my direction to check the time on the tiny face of my wrist watch. 3:55 pm. Just another five minutes to go.

The feeling of getting yourself off from your long shift definitely came over me upon the knowledge that I will be going home soon. It did nothing but brought a smile on my face.

Shortly, after I finished my task, I felt a light slap on my right butt cheek as I jumped from the impact. I twisted and turned my body around to come face to face with Alisha, whose waist was also wrapped in a black work apron, as she gave me a playful wink, and that wide-spread cheeky smile that was playing up on her lips.

"Hey you," I called out with my head towards her as she moved her way through the kitchen to dump any dirty plates and utensils in the dish washing tray compartment, before she could re-enter the main dining area in a certain style that belonged to her and only her.

"Are you ready to get off your shift miss hard-working?" she asked in a playful tone. I hollered at the nickname she used as I began to collect the remaining dirty mugs and saucers that were left out by customers a while ago.

"You could say that I was born ready, Leesh," I enthused whilst I was collecting them carefully in my hands. Careful, so none of them could break and cause a mess on the floor. Another cleaning job for me.

"Good, 'cause I'd like to see that kind of attitude every time you finish a shift Pen," she said as she picked up the spray sanitizer and a blue wipe to start cleaning up the remaining dirty tables, "because at the end of the day, you'd still get your money, and nothing's better than receiving your salary after a hard day's work."

Once I carefully dumped all the dirty plates and mugs with the others in that same washing container, I headed back towards Alisha, who was humming something as she worked, although I couldn't figure out the song itself, it does have a very nice tune.

"I guess you're right," I said after a while, which got Alisha to stop humming mid-note to look at me. She didn't seem to mind it though.

"I didn't get to say this in the beginning but, thank you," I added right after.

Alisha held her gaze for a moment as she straightened her posture to a more comfortable stance. "What are you thanking me for, hun?" she smiled at the question with her hand over her hip whilst leaning against the dining chair next to her. Her right arm used to keep her stabilized and from losing balance.

"For essentially being someone to look up to during my first few shifts here," I stated and I could feel Alisha's heart warming up from the compliment by the looks of her relaxed facial expressions, "and also, for being a good friend to me. I couldn't ask a more better friend than you, Leesh."

"Oh honey," she said as she emptied her hands by placing the cleaning tools on the top of the table, before bringing me in a tight squeeze, "no need to thank me, there's a reason why we instantly connected in the first place."