Chapter 8 - My Vacation

Monday: June 28, 2032

Cassie was sitting at her desk at 8:00am. She had gotten to work a few minutes early today so she could compose an email to Walter Stafford.

"Dear Mr. Stafford,

The 4th of July is this coming Sunday. Since Monday, July 5th will be a company holiday, I would like to formally submit my request for 2 weeks vacation beginning Friday, July 2nd. I will return to work on Monday, July 19th.

Sincerely,

Ms. Cassandra Noble"

Just as she hit the send icon, her secretary, Janice was on the intercom.

"Ms. Noble, you have two visitors waiting to see you."

"Who are they, Jan?"

"I don't know...they wouldn't say."

Cassie detected a note of anxiety in Janice's voice.

"All they would say is that it's official business!" Jan continued in a whisper.

"I see! Alright, show them in."

Cassie's curiosity meter was peaking in the red zone. She got up and stood next to her desk. There was a knock and Jan opened the door. There were a man and woman dressed in black suits standing next to her.

"Thank You, Janice."

"Please come in. I'm Cassandra Noble." she said to the strangers.

"We know who you are and all about you, Ms. Noble!" the woman said smugly. "I'm Special Agent in Charge Anna Davenport and my partner is special agent Craig Brooks."

Both of them held out their FBI identification.

Although Cassie maintained a calm demeanor on the outside, her heart was racing and she was panicking on the inside.

Had they found out about me being with the resistance movement or could this have something to do with breaking in to Sen. McKenzie's hotel room?

"C'mon Cassie...pull it together!"

"What can I do for you?" she said calmly.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions about Mr. Marcus Hawthorne."

Cassie's nerves settled down as a huge sense of relief came over her. "Whew...they're not on to me!"... But now she started to panic again...this time with concerns about Marc.

"Mr. Hawthorne?" she said, acting surprised.

"Yes, we've recently seen you in his company. May I ask the nature of your relationship?"

"I really don't think that's any of your business, special agent in charge Davenport!" Cassie said arrogantly.

Just then Walter Stafford walked into her office. To his surprise, no one took notice of him or acknowledged his presence. He stood their listening to the exchange occurring between Cassandra and the two strangers in her office.

"Ms. Noble...is there some reason you want to keep the nature of this relationship with Mr. Hawthorne a secret?"

Clearly Agent Davenport was attempting to intimidate Cassie. An attempt that failed as Cassie turned the tables on her.

Walter stood there amazed as he saw Cassie rip into the black suited woman with fire in her eyes. She spoke with an intensity he had never heard before!

"You say you know all about me? Who do I work for?"

"Stafford Distributors" she sheepishly replied.