Chapter 10 - Eminent Domain

Cassie left work that Monday evening and drove over to resistance headquarters'. It had been three days since her birthday party...the night Skip had ruined her life by revealing her true age in front of Marc. There had been no communication with Skip since then. No calls, no texts...which was unusual, as they would normally be in contact at least once a day.

She was still so angry with Skip and knew it was going to be awkward being in the same room with him.

Sure enough, Skip and Kathy's cars were in the warehouse parking lot.

"At least Kathy's here and I won't have to be alone with him!" she thought.

Skip and Kathy were in the office. He was sitting at his desk, with her in a chair next to him, watching him work. He was a graphic artist, doing mostly website design. This gave him the luxury of being able to work anywhere he had access to a computer.

Cassie went to her desk and sat down, neither one looked at, or spoke, to each other. Kathy felt the tension in the air...it was so thick you could cut it with a knife. After a couple of minutes of uneasy silence, she couldn't stand it any longer.

"Say something to her!" she whispered in Skip's ear.

"Like what?"

Kathy rolled up a piece of paper and whacked him on top of his head. "Apologize to her...get down on your knees and beg for her forgiveness if you have to!"

"Cassie?" he said sheepishly, trying to get her attention.

"What do you want?" was her harsh reply...still refusing to look at him.

"I had no idea you and Marc were...involved with each other!"

Kathy whacked him again, giving him a look of disgust! "What kind of apology is that? That's completely beside the point!" she said sternly.

"I'm so sorry, Cassie. I know you wanted your age kept a secret and I don't know why I said anything...I wasn't thinking clearly and it just came out. I know I'm an idiot and a complete insensitive asshole! Will you ever be able to forgive me?" he said with utter remorse.

"That's better!" Kathy whispered again.

"Yes you are!" Cassie responded, finally looking up at him.

"...and you'll forgive me then?" Skip added.

"Probably...but not anytime soon!" saying, with a smidgen of a smile.

Kathy now came over and sat next to Cassie.

"So...have you heard from Marc?"

"No. I've texted him...called and left messages, but nothing in return. He's totally ignoring me."

"Just give it some time. It's still too soon for him to get over the shock that he's in love with a teenager. Regardless of your age...you're the catch of a lifetime! He'll figure that out." she said sympathetically.

"I sure hope so...and I hope it's soon!" Cassie give Kathy's hand a gentle squeeze.

~~~~~~

Marc had been despondent all weekend. He was an emotional mess. He truly loved Cassie and desperately wanted to be with her...even knowing it was wrong.

But, he had to be practical. He had to think of his reputation...his company. He tried putting her out of his mind, but couldn't stop thinking about her. Her texts and phone messages weren't helping matters either. He hoped that the longer he stayed away from her, the easier things would become.

"Focus on work...all I need to do is focus on work and I won't think about her!" he thought.

Marc received a call from Jerry Hathaway, the head lawyer of Hawthorne Industries legal department.