Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

6.

"Hi."

"Hey."

"So... about last night..." I begin and he sighs, shaking his head, a loose tendril of his dark hair spilling across his forehead. My fingers twitch at my side to push it back, but I manage to control myself.

"Let's not talk about it."

"Talk about what exactly?" I ask with a frown, not understanding what even happened.

"Just forget the whole thing."

"Why?"

He whips his head to me, giving me a sharp look. "Ellie. You're annoying me."

I pout. "Sorry."

He rolls his eyes, suddenly looking relaxed. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"That cute little... thing," he gestures to my face.

I freeze. Did he just... say... cute?

I am going to faint. There isn't enough blood pumping through my body. I feel dizzy. Oh God. Haze thinks I'm –

"Breathe, Ellie." He gives me a crooked grin, looking at me in amusement.

"Did you just say..."

"Bye Ellie," he sighs with a head shake, before walking away from me.

I beam after him, my cheeks burning bright red.

My day has been made.

Haze thinks I'm cute.

***

When I arrive home, the house is much quieter than usual.

"Hello?" I call out.

I wander into the kitchen. By this time, Ma is usually busy cooking something delicious for dinner. I peer around, wondering where everyone is.

Before leaving the kitchen, I check the fridge and bench tops for a note of explanation. When I find none, I continue to scour the house. Pa and Callum have probably gone fishing. They do that at least once a week. I did get a message from the front office, saying I didn't have to get Callum, so that must be why.

I quietly pad up the stairs, my school bag feeling heavy on my shoulders. I walk past my parents' room, when I hear sniffling. I pause, pressing my ear to the gap between the door and the door frame.

When I confirm that it is someone crying, I poke my head inside.

Ma sits there, holding something to her chest, her eyes swollen.

"Ma?" I murmur quietly. "Are you all right?"

She startles, the photo – I think – falls from her grasp. She fumbles to pick it up hastily, an unusual look on her face. It's a mix of surprise, embarrassment and... guilt?

"Oh Ellie, I didn't hear you come home," she says in a shaky voice, dragging her slender fingers across her eyelids.

I edge towards the bed and sit down, the springs groaning underneath my weight. Her face is a blotchy mess. Ma is someone who is very composed, rarely showing feelings other than warmth and kindness.

"Why are you crying?"

"No reason," she shakes her head. "None at all. Just having a moment."

"Looks like a bit more than a 'moment'," I raise my eyebrows, my voice gentle. "Ma, you can tell me anything, you know that right?"