Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

9.

I'm glad that Kai is acting normal when I wait for him at his gate.

He launches into a story about a new supernatural show he found last night. I, like I have been ever since I met him, begin to think about Haze. I can't help questioning why he didn't bother to contact me after he said he would.

He probably doesn't even like you. 

He started the kiss, though. I helped lead to that point, but he initiated it.

I let out a huff as I scuff my leather shoes on the pavement, feeling sour all over again.

"What's got your frown upside down?" Kai asks me, finally stopping his story. "I thought you were happy, because of the whole making-out-with-the-crazy-looking-dude at the party on Saturday?"

I glare at him. "Hush."

"Is that not what happened?"

"Leave it alone," I whine, feeling annoyed.

"Ellie." He stops and touches my shoulder. "What's wrong? I won't judge, I promise."

"You will, you just won't voice your judgement," I point out.

"True, but go on. Tell me."

"Well, we hung out after the party. We talked, got to know each other a little better... it was nice. He told me he would talk to me on Sunday but he didn't and now I'm overthinking everything and being an obsessive loser. I texted him, after waiting all day and he never replied. Now, I'm sulking."

"There might be a reason why he couldn't. Could have been busy, broke his phone..." he offers.

I give him a sad smile. "Thanks for trying."

"Seriously. Remember that time you thought I was mad at you but I had just dropped my phone in the toilet?"

I let out a laugh. "Yeah, I do."

"See?" he nudges me with his elbow, giving me a smile.

I nod, mulling over his words.

We get to Heidi's fence and as expected, she's not there. I text her again, tightening my coat around me, pressing my gloved hands to my cheeks. The mornings are so cold here. The sun's heat doesn't hit us until about lunchtime, and then it goes back to being cold again, late afternoon.

A minute or two later, she comes flying down the driveway, her ginger hair splayed across her forehead.

"Argh!" she cries out, flinging her bag to me and her jacket to Kai.

Kai and I wordlessly exchange a look and shake our heads.

She finally sorts out her appearance, once-again, doing up her hair out here, before shrugging into her coat. She ties her laces up and I help her put her bag on.