Pick and Choose

Well, this is awkward.

Sean, Ponsi and I are standing stiffly beside each other, waiting for someone to speak up. Wish, we could pick and choose or something because I don't want to start but I hate this silence. Luckily, Sean ended my suffering.

"So.... For how long have you two -"

"- about two moths."

Ponsi responded way to quickly too be natural. You know something is bad when Ponsi is nervous.

Sean was still kind of looking around the bar, stepping back and forth on his heel.

"We we're about to tell you."

I said and Sean jerked his head up at me. His serious expression softened and I could see even a slight smile playing on his lips.

"Oh, no don't worry about it!  I mean, yeah I was kind of surprised-"

"-well, no wonder, you saw us making out in front of you."

Ponsi laughed and I made a mental note for myself, to slap him afterwards for making this awkward remark.

Sean kind of awkwardly looked around the bar and went on the stage stiffly to prepare his bass guitar. 

"We should get him drunk so he'll forget about this fuck of an awkward moment."

Ponsi whispered into my ear. I smiled at him and squeezed his hand.

●●●

"A wedding."

"Yeah..."

I let out my biggest sigh yet and scratch the back of my head. After an hour of rehearsal, when we played Pay the Man with the guys, we went ahead to Captain Bourbon and had a beer.

I just gave up completely and told them everything. There was no point in hiding it anyway; Isom's gonna have to tell them eventually and they need to know why I am gonna be in charge from now on. Ponsi stayed unnaturally silent the entire time I've been explaining but Sean kept bombing questions at me.

"Can't believe he's getting married, that's insane! Who would've known."

Sean shook his head dramatically but the second he stopped talking, I looked over at Ponsi. He was still as quiet as a stone and his eyes kept looking at the wooden floor.

"It's pretty crazy. Hey would you mind ordering us another beer?"

I asked and Sean headed off towards the bar. I carefully turned to Ponsi, who was resting his elbow on the table, wearing a dreary expression.

"Is something wrong?"

His actions were way too slow as he lazily looked my way.

"I knew that Isom is having a wedding."

How did he know? What the fuck?

"Did he tell you?"

"Yeah, he did."

"Oh, ok."

"He sent out letters."

Our eyes met at his last sentence. Isom sent out invitations? Then why am I here explaining myself like an idiot? Ponsi continued as he read my fed up face.

"I didn't know that Isom told you to be in charge but I knew he was gonna get married."

"But what's wrong then?"

"Sean didn't get the letter."

He grabbed a cigarette packet out of his pocket again and lit one ciggy while still looking very scatterbrained. I rubbed my eyes roughly; what is he trying to say?

"What do you mean?"

"Can't you see? He obviously had no fucking clue what you were talking about. I didn't want to say anything in front of him since...I don't know...maybe Isom didn't invite him."

I was slightly cut off by Ponsi's words. Why in the world would Isom not invite Sean to his wedding? There must be something else behind it.

"I didn't get the letter either."

I said but I didn't seem to convince Ponsi, since he put on his signature sarcastic smug.

"When was the last time you checked your mailbox?"

I opened my mouth but instantly closed it again. Ok, fair point. I don't even have a key to our mailbox so that objection was dumb but I still can't believe the statement that Sean wasn't invited.

"Maybe the letter didn't get to him. Or perhaps Isom forgot about him. God knows how many guests they invited, Sean's letter could've easily get lost."

Ponsi's shook his golden head and pursed the cigarette between his thin lips.

"I don't believe in coincidences. Besides, do you really think Isom would forget to invite his best friend?"

We both lean against our chair and sighed. This is so weird. I don't even know what to make out of this conversation.

We saw Sean coming, holding three beers so Ponsi leaned towards me closely and whispered into my ear:

"Whatever it is, we better leave this little inspection between us."

(Heey :D Just a quick not from me: maybe I'm gonna publish next episode a bit later than usual since I have yet to write it but I hope it won't take too long. This week's been rough but I am so happy I'm gonna have the time to be able to write again :) Ok, nice weekend and peace.)