V

IT was easy for Eli to become quite talented when it came to hiding his pain, his bruises. With enough work, he could even claim that his split lip was the result of windburn.

He wore only long shirts, sweaters or hoodies, even when the weather wasn't on his side. His legs were always clad in material, hiding the raw skin that had been constantly under attack by gravel.

It was so easy, now. To pretend.

As Eli turned the corner, he found himself colliding with the muscular chest of another boy.

The force, and Eli's weakened state, sent the smaller boy to the ground, his books falling around him.

All he could do was wince, squeezing his eyes tightly as he felt the pain coursing through his veins.

      "Dude, fuck, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to. Here" There was a shuffling of papers before Eli opened his eyes. He was met with mesmerising green irises staring down at him, and an outstretched hand.

There was a feeling that reached his lungs, pressured his heart, as the brunette offered an apologetic smile.

Eli took it, oddly enough, allowing the boy to help him to his feet.

Allowing someone to help him.

That was something he hadn't done before.

The other boy began to hand him his fallen books Eli hadn't realised had been collected from the floor, before halting.

Eli looked down curiously, aching as he froze at the sight. His sleeve had fallen further down his arm, exposing the deep bruise by his wrist.

The boy looked back up at Eli, opening his mouth, closing it again, then opening it once more to speak.

So Eli ran.

He had become so good at it.