Chapter 1

Snow was falling in National City, creating a white blanket of sparkling snow, as people rushed around in town preparing for tonight's event. Tonight was the Mystique ball. The event was to find place at the castle of the Luthor family. It was not only a ball, but also a masquerade. 

Somewhere in town, Kara Danvers was getting ready for the most anticipated event of the year. She was busy curling her hair, applying make up, and choosing which mask to wear. The rule was to conceal your identity with a mask until midnight, when all the masks would be taken off and the identities revealed. As time passed by, beautiful dresses of satin, lace and silk were slid on. Taking one last glance in the mirror at herself, Kara let out a tear.

"You look beautiful in your heaven blue dress." Kara heard someone say, turning around to find her sister Alex standing at the door.

"You think?"

"I know so. You will be the most beautiful girl on the dance floor."

Although Kara looked stunning, Alex could see something was eating at her. Kara wasn't smiling as she used to and she didn't have that look of confidence on her face.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Kara replied, smiling gently.

"Kara, I know you. Something is bothering you. Tell me what's going on." Alex said, coming closer to wrap an arm around her sister's shoulder.

"Well, you know that there's this stupid tradition to kiss someone at midnight and then take your mask off to reveal your identity, right?"

"Yeah, I know. That's how Maggie and I met and became a couple." Alex uttered, remembering the day she met the only woman who was able to turn the bad ass into a softie. 

"I don't think I will find someone to kiss at midnight." Kara whispered, a tear falling down her face.

"Since when do you care about traditions?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to get that off my mind."

"Kara, you are going to find someone. Just wait and see. Maggie grabbed me ten seconds before midnight and I didn't expect that at all. And by the way, you don't need a girl to have fun."

Alex gave her sister one final hug, and left. Kara checked her dress one more time, making sure everything was on the right place, then put on the red mask she had bought and left her room.

Somewhere else in town, Lena Luthor was standing in front of a mirror, dressed in her fine and expensive black dress. While most people hated and complained about the masks, Lena was thankful for them. No one could know who she really was, which also meant Sam wouldn't know which one would be Lena. Lena had had a crush on Sam for years, but Lena had always been too scared to tell her best friend how she felt. This would be a magical night, and tonight was her only chance to kiss her. She was planning to kiss Sam and then running away, so Sam would never know who she really was. Enchanting her black mask, she took one last look at herself and walked out of the house. As she walked to the winter wonderland decorated ball, Lena put her red mask on.

As more people entered the castle, music was playing out of the speakers as masked couples moved towards the dance floor. Fake snow was falling from the magical ceiling, making the room look like the perfect winter wonderland location. Endless amounts of tables had been set up, loaded with food and drink of every description. Students sat eating, drinking, talking, dancing or moving around, interacting with one another. Kara stood in her dress next to her sister and Alex' girlfriend. Kara looked around, searching for some other familiar faces.

Not a succes. Everyone wore a mask and finding her other friends like Winn and James was really difficult. Kara wondered if she could find someone who would pay attention to her.

Lena had been watching her since the moment she walked in. She had drawn her like a magnet. The way her heaven blue dress moved with each elegant movement she made, it was like it was perfectly made for her body. The fabric almost caressed her waist before flaring out over her hips and falling elegantly to the floor. Her long hair was pulled back into a sleek bun with strands falling around her face beautifully. And those mesmerizing eyes behind that red mask. Lena's heart skipped a beat. That girl made her forget about Sam immediately.

But who was she?