Chapter 2

The girl looked like she was waiting for someone. "Maybe she is,"  Lena thought to herself. That girl was too beautiful to be here alone. Then, Lena saw the girl walking away from her with someone else, a black man in a tuxedo. "This is my shot, before it is too late,"  Lena said to herself.

Lena quickly approached the girl in the heaven blue dress, and tapped her on the shoulder. Turning, Kara saw a figure outstretching her hand. 

"Care to dance?" her soft voice asked, smiling.

Kara looked at her and smiled. The shorter girl felt her cheeks going warmer. Only able to nod, Kara placed her hand in Lena's and allowed the brunette to lead her onto the dance floor. Kara put her hands on Lena's shoulders while hers found their way to Kara's waist. The two women started dancing as the song began. Kara, normally a little shy, found the courage to look into Lena's eyes; they were green, magically capturing her full attention.

The night could have gone perfectly, but one thought kept buzzing through Lena's head. Who was this girl she was dancing with? Who was she?

Somewhere between their dancing, Lena decided to make the first move and tried to say something. She wanted to have a chance to open up. To get the chance to know each other as they talked about everything and nothing. No weird details were exchanged -like how Lena's family had organized this ball for their daughter's eighteenth birthday- but Kara found herself unable to hide her smile as they talked. Kara found the brunette intelligent, compassionate, ambitious and everything else she could have ever wanted in a girl. Kara couldn't believe she hadn't noticed this girl before at school. Maybe the masks were the reason, it allowed everyone to let down their guard, to have the chance to be their true selves. And like that, you could feel the tension grow, as their bodies got closer, song after song going by. 

"She is beautiful,"  Lena thought. Kara's eyes shone like the sunlight kissing the ocean and her smile sparkled like the Fourth of July. Still, those blue, blue eyes, icy blue, looking back at her as if Lena could warm them up. They were pretty powerful, you know, those eyes, pretty beautiful, too. 

"Would you care to go for a walk with me?" Lena asked, wanting to have some privacy after all the dancing.

"That seems nice." Kara answered, smiling as Lena grabbed Kara's hand, leading her through the crowd and out to the beautifully decorated halls.

And there they walked in the halls, holding hands, feeling like they were the only two people in the world. The halls were decorated with candles and flowers, making it look like a real paradise. They stopped once they came to a window that looked out over the whole city, covered in snow. The moon shining through the window and lit Kara in a soft glow.

"Breathtaking." Kara whispered, fascinated by the snow that was falling. 

Lena came a little closer, embracing Kara in her arms, as she gazed out as well. Kara moved her eyes from Lena's chest up to her eyes. That's when Lena looked into Kara's eyes as well. And all of a sudden, Kara was unable to speak. The way Lena was looking at the shorter girl in her arms made butterflies go crazy in Kara's stomach. Kara had never been looked at the way Lena was looking at her right now. Almost like admiration?

Lena leaned in just a little as Kara zoned out everyone around them. Lena lifted one hand to trail a fingertip along Kara's jaw. "What would you do if I kissed you right now?" Lena breathed out.

"Why don't you find out?" Kara whispered, eyes flickering to Lena's lips.

Kara's heart thudded rapidly in her chest, her clothing felt too tight, and the air seemed too dense to breathe. Her eyes seemed to radiate a maelstrom of emotions as she waited for Lena's next move.

Hooking a finger under the shorter girl's chin, Lena tilted Kara's head up so she was looking up at the dark brunette. Lena's hand came up and gently tucked the soft piece of hair behind Kara's ear. Their eyes met, blue to green, as they both slowly leaned in. They closed their eyes and Lena felt her lips crash down onto Kara's, kissing her with a deep passion that flowed from Lena into Kara.