Chapter 4

"Kara?" Lena asked, her eyes scanning over the taller girl she had been kissing passionately. 

"Lena?" Kara replied, a look of total surprise on the girl's face. Realization of what she had done hit Kara like a bus and she ran, fleeing from Lena's safe embrace.  The dark haired girl stayed behind as she saw Kara disappearing in town, leaving their masks on the ground.

Kara ran back to the only place she thought would be safe, back home with her sister. As she was running, the only thought that was stuck in her head was how on earth she hadn't recognized her ex-best friend.

The younger Danvers stopped at her house, bursting into the Danvers's home. She ran to the bathroom, needing to be alone to think. Gasping, she looked in the mirror at herself. Seeing her lips were swollen and looked freshly kissed. Reaching up, her fingers ran over her tingling lips. 

Tingling? 

In the meantime, Lena was still at the masquerade, still as a statue as she had seen Kara Danvers running away from her. The dark brunette had just kissed her ex-best friend and she would never have guessed Kara was that good of a kisser. Looking down, she noticed the elegant masks they had been wearing not only a few minutes ago.

She picked them up and put them in her purse, joining the others at the ball. Back at the Danvers's house, Kara was hunched over the sink, splashing cold water on her face. Suddenly, she heard a noise.

"What's going on, Kara?" Alex asked, as she walked into the bathroom. "Why did you storm in?"

"I-I..." Kara stuttered, "I kissed someone."

A big grin appeared on Alex's face. "Good for you! And who was it?"

Kara bit her lower lip. "Uhm, Lena Luthor."

Alex frowned, a quizzical appearing on her face. "The Lena Luthor as in your ex-best friend? What were you thinking?"

"I DON'T KNOW!" Kara snapped, wanting to be left alone. "One minute, we were talking and the next, we were making out."

"You know what? Get some sleep. We'll talk about it tomorrow." Alex suggested, placing a kiss on her sister's forehead.

After a long, confusing and twisted night, both students had gone to their rooms and laid awake in bed, trying to make sense of that evening's events.

Morning came and Kara dragged herself out of bed to the kitchen for breakfast. She found Maggie and Alex already eating and talking. Maggie asked about Kara's night at the ball, but the brunette kept her head down, not wanting to say anything. 

"Come on, tell me how it was last night." Maggie urged, tapping Kara's shoulder.

Alex tried to catch Maggie's attention, trying to tell her girlfriend she shouldn't piss off Kara, but it was already too late.

Kara quickly turned around, an irritated look on her face. "Nothing happened, okay? Leave me alone for a goddamn second!"

Maggie took this as a warning, and left the table after kissing her girlfriend goodbye. After Maggie closed the door, Alex turned to her sister. "You shouldn't have been so rude to Maggie. She was just curious to know how your night went."

"She shouldn't have pissed me off."

"Fine." Alex simply said, "I'm at Maggie's place."

As Kara was finishing up breakfast, her phone suddenly rang. She unlocked her phone, looking at the message. It was a picture of the elegant red mask she had worn last night. She looked at the text under the picture.

"We need to talk. School at 9 pm. -LL"