Chapter 8: Girl by the River

Sofia's POV

What?! Since when?

We sat next to each other, Xan was in between me and Jemma "What did you guys order?" asked Xan ignoring what I just witnessed. What the hell is going on? Are they actually going out? If they are, they didn't even say anything about their relationship. I get Xan not telling me because we don't see each other that often but Jemma? We literally see each other every day.

"Party size paella" answered Georgia

Xan nodded and took a sip of her drink

Jemma seemed to notice the confused expression on my face so she excused the both of us. "We're just going to the lady's room" she told the others. But instead of going to the bathroom we went to the terrace. The scene was beautiful overlooking the city. She leaned her arms on the railing and I followed her just standing behind her "You ok bes?" she asked still looking at the noisy city

I stayed quiet

She smiled and turned around "Xan and I aren't going out. They just started teasing us when you weren't there" she chuckled "Man, that woman is one in a million and you take her for granted"

"What do you mean?" I asked

She shook her head in disbelief "I can't believe you. Are you that blind?" she said

"What are you talking about?" I asked again

"She f&^%ing likes you!" she said.

"Of course, we're friends. I like her too" I said

She did a facepalm "She loves you! Not just a friend but more than that. She f&^%ing adores you Sof. You don't even notice the efforts she's doing for you. She keeps giving you hints, everyone knew it but you seem to think of it like a joke. Like, who the f&^% would fly across the Pacific Ocean just to comfort you when your grandma passed away knowing she has an exam two days after"

What? I feel like someone just yanked my insides. I didn't know she felt like that...I thought she was only messing around like she always does. But we're friends...

"Aren't you going say something?" Jemma pressed

I don't know what to say to be honest "u-uhm... this is all a shock to me" I said. "She's always been flirting with everyone and... and I know she's only playing around." I paused "I-I didn't know she was serious"

She shook her head in disbelief again "She knew you were going to say that" she said and walked closer "The day before you met Jake, she called me. She said she'll finally try to mature up and court you. She asked to advice and made preparations for everything. But then he came..."

What is going on? I don't even know what to saw or think. "Xan is my best friend, she makes me smile whenever I feel even slightly sad. She was always there for me whenever I need her. But... I only see her as my best friend. Yes, I love her...but... just a friend" I confessed. But then just as I say it, it felt weird. Like I didn't mean it. Well, I think I did mean because I have a boyfriend and I love him?

"Yo—" said Jemma but she was interrupted

"Jay" said a familiar voice. So, I turned around and saw Xan "That's enough. I think we all heard enough for today" she said. Her voice was a little bit shaky but she managed to say that sentence calmly. She l looked at me and it felt like she just pierced through me. Her eyes were kinda watery. Then she quickly averted her eyes again "The others are waiting for use already" she said and walked away

Alexandra's POV

"Xan is my best friend, she makes me smile whenever I feel even slightly sad. She was always there for me whenever I need her. But... I only see her as my best friend. Yes, I love her...but... just a friend" said Sofia. It keeps repeating in my head like a f&^%ing broken record. When we went back to the restaurant, I couldn't face Sofia so I told them I had to go. At first, I went home but my family seemed to notice somethings wrong so I grabbed my motorcycle keys and drove to nowhere. Right now, I'm just seating on a railing, just by a bridge looking at the calm river. My phone buzzed like a thousand times so I tossed it in the clear water and heard it plop.

So, I'm just her friend... I thought. Why do I even feel this way? I already know she's going to say that because: one, I'm a stupid, good for nothing person. Two, she has a f&^%king boyfriend. I remember when we saw his at the diner. Her eyes lit up and her smile was priceless. I never saw her look at me that way. And three, she's straight.

"If you're trying to kill yourself by jumping on that river, it won't work" said someone behind me. So, I turned around and saw a woman. She's like the same age as me, slightly taller than Sofia and she has a light blonde hair.

"I was hoping there's some piranhas or crocodiles in there" I told her still seating on the railing

"Well, bad luck there's none in there. Only carp, perch, crayfish, salmon, eel and trout" she said leaning on the barrier

"Wow!" I said in amazement "You know your fishes" I said looking at her then back to the river. "Well...at least there's eels in there that might electrocute me"

"The eels here aren't electric" she said, "and my dad fishes here and I live nearby so I got some experience" she explained

"Damn" I said in a joking disappointed tone

"I'm Camille by the way" she said offering a hand shake

I shook it "Alexandra, Xan for short"

"So, what are you doing here anyways other than trying to kill yourself on a knee-high river" she asked taking a seat beside me "broken hearted?"

"You can say that" I told her

"You know you can tell a stranger like me your problems. I won't judge, and you might get a free advice" she said making me chuckle

Somehow, I felt like I had nothing to lose here and this girl seemed nice and know she's doing. So, I eventually told her from the beginning to end

After the story, I looked at her and she looked like she was shocked on what she heard. But then shook it off "Dang, you must love that girl so much, huh?"

I nodded

"You loved her for 17 years?! You're what now 21? That's kinda long, mate" she said, "have you tried liking other people?"

"Well, I tried. I even tried to hate her but obviously didn't work" I confessed

"S*%t mate! And she didn't even notice? Dang bro!" she added

Minutes or hours passed and we continued our comfortable conversation. She gave me advice on how to tackle this right now and I have to admit even though she hasn't had a boyfriend or girlfriend yet, she's good at giving love advice. We also about her life here and her family. They live quietly and happily here.

We decided to call it a day because it's dark already and she has to go home "I'll see you around then?" I said hopping on my bike

She smiled, but before I could drive off she stopped me "D-do you want to have dinner?" she asked. Before I could answer, my stomach growled making her laugh and I die from embarrassment "That's a yes then?

"Do I have a choice? my body is on control now. And I might have the chance to taste your special poached salmon you kept bragging" I said handing her a spare helmet

She smiled and hopped on

When we approach their place, I saw a beautiful house made out of wood and stone. It has three floors and modern. I parked outside and took off my helmet and Camille did the same "wow!" I said in amazement "When you said simple, I expected a simple house"

She smiled at me handing the helmet "My dad's an architect, and my mom's an interior designer" she said leading me to the door

"That's a great combination" I said still eyeing the house "And you're an engineer. Wow!"

She opened the door and we were welcomed by a beautiful wood and stone design living room. They have a fireplace on the wall surrounded by white sofa chairs. There were also paintings hanging on the wall and a few fish decors. "And you must be Xan" said a man approaching me. He's a little bit older than my dad, he has a few strand of grey hair and he is quite stylish. I extended my arm for a hand shake but he hugged me instead "I don't like handshakes, they are for old people" he said.

Then he was followed by a woman, she's probably the same age as him. She's like an older version of Camille with her fathers' eyes. She also hugged me when she approached. They are very friendly here and it's nice.