A chase for lord mystery ham

It wasn't his alarm clock or the sun that shone through the triangular window that ripped Dipper out of his dreams but something that tugged on his forcefully on his duvet, sending him with a sleep fogged mind and a startled bleat into the new day.

Dipper blinked his eyes, to find himself face to face with his sister. Mabel eyed him with surprise and turned her head to the side, a gesture that Waddles, sitting beside her, copied with ease.

"You're still all deery..." She reached out to stroke her brother's flank, as to point out her argument, sending shivers down Dippers spine. He looked down at himself, not surprised at all.

Of course he still was a monster - what else was new? Despite him knowing, he couldn't stop the dryness in his mouth. It was hard to not tell Mabel that her hopes were for nothing.

He wouldn't change back.

Not now. Not ever.

But he couldn't tell her that, she wouldn't understand, she wouldn't accept his decision.

So he had to play along. The sigh that escaped him was just as real as the sadness in his voice.

"Seems so..." he said. It was already hard to deal with but Mabel's next sentence made his chest tighten regardless.

"Don't worry Dipper." He looked up to meet the comforting smile of his optimistic sister who patted his back to calm him down. He let her, as if the soft touch soothed both of their troubled minds while he listened to her. "I'm sure you'll change back soon!"

'No I won't.' His insides were screaming to tell her, to end this dark game he was playing. But instead he was at lost for words while Mabel's hand brushed softly down his fur. Dipper bit his lips, debating with himself, but in the end it wasn't the truth that his meek voice formed.

"Yeah... Of course, you're probably right." He swallowed.

Silence stretched between them until he was able to face her again.

"Thanks Mabel." he said.

But his sister's attention had shifted during his search for words, she didn't meet his gaze but instead rubbed her cheek in his fur while she made a happy exclamation under her breath.

"So soft." she cooed.

"Mabel!"

She looked up to him, slowly lifting her head from his back. "But Dipper, it's true! You're super fluffy." With that Mabel rubbed one of his with spots with her index finger, her smile growing a little sad. "I might miss seeing you look so cute when you change back. And you will, just so you know."

But Dipper just made an annoyed face to the first part of her comment. Not that that could stop her cheerful voice from breaking the tension.

"So stop looking all mopey and get up! Stan's waiting for you with breakfast downstairs. Not that your veggies would go cold anyway." She muttered the last part to herself. Dipper just nodded and got himself out of bed.

"Okay, but I'm going to shower first." This time it was Mabel's turn to stare at him in silence, her eyes big as saucers.

"You- what?" she yelled. She ran up to him and laid her hand on his forehead. "Are you ill?"

Dipper groaned, and put her hand away while he spoke. "No it's just... my fur is kind of itchy, that's all." Mabel had a hard time closing her gaping mouth, her gaze went over her brother's rump until she managed a small nod.

"Alright, then! I'll be downstairs, so just call if you need help getting to the tough spots with your hairdryer!" she giggled

"No!" Dipper said. But Mabel was already running down the stairs. Dipper sighed, shaking his head as he grabbed a fresh shirt and made his way to the bathroom. Even if Mabel was right, he wasn't really looking forward to drying his fur out.