To lose somthing

The night laid a heavy weight on them so neither Stan nor Dipper could deny the tiredness in their eyes once Grunkle Stan had finished sobbing, ending in curses and decided to pretend that none of this ever happened. Stan was busy saying that he was okay, and that everything was still fine, and suggested he carry Dipper upstairs, so that he would be able to sleep in his own bed beside Mabel. But Dipper just denied the offer, he would be fine sleeping downstairs for tonight, because it wouldn't be worth waking Mabel- okay maybe also because he really hated those damn stairs; with only four legs to walk on and no hands, it was difficult to hold himself stable. But Mabel was definitely his priority.

That's how he wandered back to the large pillow in the parlor, Stan still by his side, but not to watch him, of course not. What a silly idea that would be? But to watch a super interesting movie he had wanted to see for ages.

Yeah, of course.

The movie in question turned out to be an old black and white documentary about "The Mystical Mechanics of Spider Webs", so that the silence stretched between them again as he watched how the little crawling creature webbed his home. Silence hung in the air, while one pretended to watch and the other one eyed his makeshift pillow-bed skeptically. Stan swallowed before he cleared his voice with a rusty cough, a hint of red on his cheeks as he questioned Dipper, avoiding the kid's gaze.

"You need a blanket?" Dipper's ears picked up the waver in his Grunkle's voice, but he sighed. Why would he need a blanket anyway with this coat of burning hot fur that stuck to him everywhere he went.

"No thanks, I'm fine." He answered with a shy smile, but Stan was not done yet, fiddling with his hands as if he didn't know what to do with them.

"Another pillow maybe?" The fawn's ears dropped in annoyance, he turned around to look at him questionably before he shook his head, searching for Stan's eyes with a plain look.

"Seriously Grunkle Stan, I'm fine!" But the old man just frowned, before he let himself fall back into his chair, scratching the back of his neck with a sigh.

"Fine kid... if you say so. But at least eat and drink some of those. Your sister collected all this green stuff from the backyard the whole evening to make you feel better. So if you don't want to eat it for yourself- or me - then do it for Mabel." He announced, pointing to the two bowls in front of Dipper. But the used-to-be boy just gulped and looked down at his leg which seemed to be so damn far away right now. To be honest, it's not that he didn't want to try but- he simply didn't know how.

And imagining himself, eating like this just felt humiliating. But his stomach grumbled in protest just as he was about to argue with Grunkle Stan; so Dipper decided to give it a try, when Stan noticed how awkward all of this was for him. The employee of the Mystery Shack sighed, shaking his head in protest.

"See kid, if it's easier for you, just lay down and eat then. It's exactly like you and your sister laying down on this carpet, munching sweets on your bellies all day." Dipper blinked in surprise, he never thought of it that way, and he wouldn't need to figure out what to do with his legs while eating. Dipper gave him a startled look, Stan was right, even if a tiny voice in his head told him that all of this was nothing more than a cheap excuse, the idea of eating that way seemed to suit him much more.

"You're right..." Dipper nodded, before he carefully folded his legs beneath himself.

"... it's pretty much the same."

'Aside from the fact that I don't have hands.' His nose was now just inches away from the plate with grass, flowers, fruits and salt. His nose twitched when the fresh scent hit his senses. Dipper swallowed one last time before he picked up two leaves with his muzzle. His tongue, teeth and muscles seemed to know how to guide it between his lips, so that he was able to chew on it. Still, the image of the grass vanishing between his lips still felt wrong. But the fresh taste in his mouth redressed him, the food seemed to energize him with every bit, and a hidden smile made it through his Grunkle's lips, seeing Dipper eating, finally.