Chapter 4: Fight for You

Chapter 4

"Mr. Pennington, you have a two-clock appointment with the Turners after the trustee board meeting is over." My secretary Stacey said on the phone receiver. Radiating sunlight bombarded through my office's window, highlighting my office. However, it did not match my mood.

"Okay, have my assistant Marquis made it in yet?"

Stacey paused for a minute, indicating the rehearsed answer she had been giving me for weeks now.

"No-sir, don't you remember Marquis put in his resignation letter a month ago. She explained in a faint voice. "It's why we are hosting the interviews today to hire a new assistant. Don't you remember?"

With a frown plastered on my face, I counted backward once again. I could hear it in her voice that she was judging me. I could imagine Stacey rolling her eyes as I asked about Marquis for the hundredth time.

Stacey didn't understand though. Things had changed since "a month ago." A month ago, Marquis didn't want to be around me due to this strange idea of focusing on his engagement with Link. He wanted to avoid the "temptation" of me, so he made the stupid decision of quitting his job. However, when Link put him out and made it clear that the two wouldn't be walking down the aisle, I thought he would be back at work in my presence, where I could keep my eyes on him. In my mind, things should have gone back to normal. However, for the last three days, Marquis was still not showing up for work even though he resided in the comfort of my home.

What made matters worse is that he left my house this morning with the impression of going to work. Yet and behold, he was not here. I didn't even waste my energy dialing his number. I knew he wouldn't answer.

"Could you call him and tell him that we need him in the office."

She hesitated before responding, "Sir, are you sure you want me to call him again. Marquis won't be coming in. He has made it clear to me that he no longer works here."

"Just do what I say Stacey." I fussed, trying to control my breathing. For some reason, it was becoming harder and harder to breathe. I could feel my cheeks burning with every breath infused into my lungs. Pulling out the blue labeled medication box, I dumped all of the pills in my mouth. Instantly, I felt my body returning to its normal, calm state just in time for Stacey's voice to shuffled back into the phone.

"Yeah, he did not answer. Do you want me to call him again?" Stacey uttered in a voice dripping with attitude and sarcasm.

"Well, do you have any idea why he is not showing up for work or where he could be?"

"No sir. Do you need help with anything else?" Stacey said with a long sigh.

"No, Stacey, that would be all. Cancel the Turner appointment and that trustee's meeting. I'm going to be out of my office for the next couple of hours. As a matter of fact, cancel my entire schedule. I'm taking the rest of the day off.