Chapter 17: Thoughts for You

Chapter 17

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

It's loud. The noise is loud.

Jolting up in the bed, I focused myself on a distraught Mason. Something was wrong. Both of his hands were covering his face, and his shaky breath seemed to be increasing by the second. When I heard him wheezing, I rushed to his side and caught him before he fell to the floor.

"OH MY GOD! BREATHE! MR. PENNINGTON! Breathe!" I yelled in horror and confusion.

At the sound of my voice, he turned his attention to me like a mother to her child. Disbelief was plastered all over his face. His eyes were stained red with tear streaks trails cascading down his cheeks.

"Rah-h-heem." He stuttered in a stern yet compassionate tone while placing his hands in mine. "I thought you had, Ozz...Oshere Osm...

"What? Mason? What? What are you saying?"

"Ozz..ozmarq--oz-" He struggled to say once more before struggling to breathe once more.

"Don't speak, Mason, just breathe. I coached him. Breathe in Mr. Pennington, Breathe." I found myself breathing along with him so he could gain his rhythm of breath. Holding one of his hands in mine, I looked into his eyes to give him a sense of comfort. I lightly squeezed his hand every off second while his eyes remained fixated on me. When his eyes began to close, I panicked once more. "Mason, no, open your eyes."

His feline eyes snapped open and looked into my eyes before closing again. My phone vibrated across the floor from us. Quickly, I grabbed my phone from beside his legs and called the police for an ambulance.

<<•>>

I was standing outside, scared and worried, while the medical professionals were inside checking on Mason.

After calling the ambulance, I held Mason in my arms and made sure he was breathing properly. What was going on? Mentally, I was at a standstill because I had no idea what was going on. One minute I'm fast asleep in the bed, and the next minute, I'm awoken by Mason's scream. It was as if something frightened him and sent him into shock.

BZZT BZZT

My phone vibrated with a text... a text from Dwight.

My feet wavered back and forth as Dwight and Yolanda flashed across my mind again. Everything that was going on with Mason made me temporarily forget about why I was here in the first place. Dwight and Yolanda had slept together and had a baby.

My boyfriend and best friend were the parents of my godson.

The mere image of them sleeping together was enough for me to kill myself. How could the two people I loved the most in the world break my heart this bad? Their ungodly sin had created a beautiful blessing I didn't know I could appreciate anymore. Malik. The more I thought about Malik, the more I cried.