The Past and the Present

Aww fudge -- WP was acting up with me and I had so many problems getting this to publish. If you saw this update already on my FFN then good for you!!

Anyways, this week was pretty hectic with a ton of school stuff going on and I was constantly listening to the Greatest Showman soundtrack that is sidetracked me from everything else!

Man, I was even finishing it up yesterday around 5 PM but in between I had this chat with my mom about downloading apps and whatnot to our computer(s)... and I finally found a computer I was allowed to play Doki Doki Literature Club on! And that... completely sucked me away from everything else.

Also, I updated the cover image! Ahhh yeah :))

So anyways ,,, here's that chapter y'all get.

***

Flashback. Several years after the incident.

"If you were putting those back where they came from, you know I'd love to help."

Kai's fingers curled tighter around the strap and he looked over his shoulder for the source of the voice. He patted his hand over the satchel. "Oh, this? It's just a couple of books. Not much of a big deal, to be honest."

Casually leaning beside the door frame, Cole cocked his head to the side and raised a brow. "If it's not such a big deal then why not just put it back?"

"Ahah, well you see, my sister needs these books for an important research project, so I really need to get these home to her."

"Go to the library next time then." Popping a bubble of gum, Cole kicked himself off the wall and walked closer to Kai. "I said, put them back."

Kai pulled out a gun and aimed it for Cole. His eyebrows drew near. "Alright, bucko, what do I have to do to get you to leave?"

He drew nearer. Cole dodged the bullet before hastily wrapping his bionic hand around the barrel of the gun, ripping it out of Kai's hand. "Return the books, Kai. The Chief is already on his way, so it'll be too late by the time you get out of this museum anyways."

"Grr, I should've known the cops were on their way." The sound of doors slamming grabbed Kai's attention and he ran to the window, peering outside.

Cole put the gun away and frowned at Kai, folding his arms across his chest. "Nevermind. I guess they're here already."

Kai turned to Cole and scoffed, trying to formulate a plan in his head. He spotted Cole's bionic arm and the gears clicked almost instantly. He knew about how Cole lost his real arm and gained that piece of metal and he could use that to his advantage.

"Clock's ticking, Kai. Give me the bag, now."

He heard the doors downstairs bust open and Kai took it to make his move.

"I can't believe you're working with them."

Cole cocked a brow. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, obviously you tried to be like them, but look where that got you," Kai motioned to his arm, "you could be doing tons of other things… especially with a new upgrade."

The dark haired teenager curled his fingers around the gun handle tightly. "Practically everyone knows that you ran away from home. That you lost your parents while you weren't around them. And that you lost your arm on the day of your birthday. I bet a lot of people feel bad for you."