Don't Deal with the Devil

C-Cuphead - Yo, yo, yo! Update for all of you fantastic people :) Thank you all so much for your reviews! Hope you enjoy the chapter AND Episode 78 of Sons of Garmadon this Friday!

***

The moment the bullet had lodged itself in Cole's chest, Kai had collapsed to his knees, able to break away from the Overlord's control for just a few minutes. He wanted to crawl beside the dark haired other and scream at himself for being so weak minded. So weak minded for making a deal with the Overlord and for allowing himself to shoot Cole again. This time without a choice.

He never dreamed of hurting his friend in a way that could seriously injure him - that was if Cole even thought of Kai as a friend anymore. The last time he had shot Cole was on the day he was taken to prison, but that was when Kai only thought for himself and his sister.

Now, he regretted everything.

He wanted to take back all that he did and start anew. But that wasn't possible. Not anymore. At this point, he had no clue what his future would be now that the Overlord had Cole in his hands. He'd be lucky enough if the Overlord ended up sparing him, but the Golden Master gang had never worked that way. They took the lives of everybody, refusing to spare even the most innocent people.

He allowed himself to come back to his senses and remembered that he was locked in one of the rooms in the gang's hideout somewhere far beneath ground. It was hopeless to scream for help. The best he could do was make the most of his time away from the Overlord and everyone else. Because now, he was finally alone with himself.

He had no clue how Nya was holding up.

No clue what was going on above him now that Cole was at the hands of the enemy.

And no clue where to go from here.

Kai felt drained and exhausted and... lost.

He was trapped.

Unless...

He wasn't giving up. No. Kai ran to the doors, frantically trying to break his way out. He pulled out a pocket knife that he carried around with him and began to pick the lock, hoping that no one would come down here while he was at it.

After several picks, Kai got the door to open and he cheered quietly, poking his head out of the room. "Hah, guess they made a mistake leaving me here with this thang," he said proudly, wanting to pat himself on the back.

"Right. Time to find Jay and Cole."

***

Cole remained by Flintlock's side as they hurried down the stuffy hallways to meet the Overlord. At first, Cole was expecting to come face to face with the face of an ally, Kai, but when the doors opened and Cole was pushed inside, he was greeted with a sly smile upon the face of a stranger.

The Overlord.

The doors locked behind him and Cole was beckoned closer by the unfamiliar man.

When Cole felt like he was close enough, he raised his head at the amulet around the Overlord's neck and felt a knot in his stomach. The man glanced down at his pendant when he caught Cole staring and grinned, clasping it between his fingers.

Finally, Cole spoke, his voice low. "Overlord."

The pale man smirked at the mention of his name and he drummed his fingers on his thigh. "I've... Never met you in person before."

"Yeah, well, neither have I." Cole scowled.

"Someone is a bit... Moody."

The eighteen year old fisted his hands. "What do you want? With me?" He was sure the Overlord had explained something to Jay when they were at the warehouse, but Cole was too distracted by his fight with Acronix that he heard just a jumble of words. Especially after the blow to the head, things got worse. His eyes followed as the Overlord stepped closer to him gracefully.