seven | ruki

cold   nights

          Requested by the lovely laura_needs_a_life ~ I positively love the Mukami's, Ruki and Azusa being my two favorites, so I was very happy when you requested this fluffy oneshot with Ruki ^^ thanks for the request love and I hope you like it <3 also hella sorry for taking so long to update this! I might have lowkey forgot I even started this whoops I love you all though! x3 I'll go back to updating at least once a week and I give everyone full permission to bug me for updates since my memory is absolutely terrible~

your p.o.v

          "Yui," I called out to the blonde as I walked down the halls of Ryoutei Gakuen, "have you by any chance seen Ruki anywhere?"

          She turned around with a kind smile, bright pink eyes holding such warmth to them you would never think her and I live with two families of vampires. "I remember seeing him walk towards the staircase that leads up to the rooftop earlier. He might still be up there."

          I smiled. "Thanks. Where are you headed right now anyways?"

          "Oh, I'm going to the cooking class to see if I can make Kanato something." She said, her smile softening some. "He's been kind of depressed lately so I'm hoping I can pick his spirits right up with a cake! What flavor do you think he'd like best?"

          Thinking for a moment, I shrugged my shoulders, the one shoulder my backpack is hanging off of aching some from the bite wounds that are covered by my uniform being pressed down upon. "He likes everything sweet so you can't really go wrong with whatever you choose. Maybe strawberry fillings or toppings will make him happier. He does like those strawberry parfaits that we used to get."

          Yui grinned. "Of course! Thanks for the help ___ and good luck finding Ruki!"

          And with that, the happy blonde practically skipped down the hallway.

          I watched her go for a moment before turning and walking back down the hallway in search of the back stairwells. You can only really get to the roof from those. The main staircases go up to the top floor and that's it while the back ones, a single one of the three located around the school, will lead to the rooftop. It's been a little bit of a scavenger hunt to finally locate the correct staircase, but thankfully I've been going here for nearly a year now and know exactly which one to look for.

          The night air was chilled and bellowed past me as I opened the large doors to the rooftop of the school. Stars littered the sky up above, though they were hard to see for the lights of the city were too bright and overpowered them entirely. Luckily the moon was nearly full tonight and could easily be seen. At least something of the night wouldn't be overshadowed by the city's lights.

          Glancing around some and pulling my uniforms jacket a little tighter around myself, I was surprised to find Ruki sitting on the bench a little ways away near the fencing that borders the school's rooftop. He looked nice just like that. Not being bothered by his brothers or the Sakamaki's, his book open and resting in one hand while he leans back and crosses one slim leg over the other, pale blue-grey eyes glinting some from the moonlight as he focuses on the words that fill the page he's reading. It's freezing this time of year and I can't for the life of me understand why he thought coming out to the roof was a good idea. Then again, guess you could say I'm just as insane for willingly coming up here in search of him regardless of the near freezing temperatures.

          As the staircase doors closed behind me, Ruki glanced up, his attention shifting to myself. "Livestock, what are you doing out here?" He asked with a coldness to his tone.

          I smiled to him despite his usual cold demeanor. "I was looking for you."

          "And why might that be?" He asked as he looked back to his book, though I could still tell he was listening since he was now turned more towards myself.

          Feeling the cold already seeping through to my bones, I tried to not let it affect me too much while I made my way to sit beside Ruki on the bench, placing my backpack down to rest against the benches leg closest to me. "I was just curious where you went is all. We're supposed to be dating right? Shouldn't I have at least a clue to where you run off to after school?"

          "I didn't realize you were such high maintenance." He said without hesitation.

          I laughed. "What? Is it so bad that I want to spend time with you?"

          "I guess not, but I don't know why you'd seek me out." He murmured, eyes flicking from his book and to myself before returning.

          "Like I said, you're my boyfriend and believe it or not I do genuinely like your company. Don't you like mine?"

          "Of course I do."

          "Then why is it so hard to believe I like spending time with you as well?"

          "Because you're my Livestock and it's your role to love your Master, but that doesn't mean you yourself would love me." He said with a sigh. "Anyways, it's cold, you should go back inside and wait for me to come down."

          I shook my head. "I like it out here."

          "Why?"

          "Because you're here."

          Ruki looked almost conflicted before sighing once more. Leaning forward some on the bench, the black haired with white tips vampire took off his uniform jacket and then draped the large piece of clothing over my shoulders, the material thick and warm. I couldn't help but smile as I pulled his jacket a little tighter around my body, the little bit of warmth it offers intoxicating.

          "Since you insist on staying out here, you may wear my jacket as to prevent your human self from catching a cold." He said with not a hint of emotion behind his words.

          "Thank you." I said softly, leaning into his side and resting my head against his arm as he continues to read.

          Ruki is such a nice vampire but no one really acknowledges it. Look, I'm not blind and I know how horribly he and his brothers used to treat me, but they're different now. Things have slowly changed over this last year with Yui and I around and now everyone is really beginning to warm up to us. And, since Ruki and I are now dating, he's been far more protective over myself, even going as far as keeping his brothers away from me when he knows I'm not feeling well and preventing them from hurting me.

          Even if everyone says these vampires are the worst, I will refuse to listen to them for Ruki is more than just some abusive vampire. He's a nice young man who's so intelligent and thoughtful and may or may not have a sharp tongue but that's beside the point here. Mukami Ruki is a great vampire to love and I stand by that, his jacket wrapped securely around my shoulders on this cold night proof enough.

          "I'm happy to have you out here with me." Ruki suddenly spoke up.

          I lifted my head just enough to get a clearer view of his face. "What makes you say that?"

          The black haired vampire flicked his eyes to me, the smallest of smiles tugging at the corners of his lips. "Nothing. I just wanted to tell you that." He said, wrapping his free arm around my shoulders as he returns his attention to his book. "We'll go home after I finish this chapter."

          Smiling, I leaned into his side and watched as a shooting star zoomed across the night sky. I could stay here for the rest of eternity if he wanted me to. I'm sure it's too early to say this, but, I think I love him...

——————————

Thanks for reading and if you want to request then go to the introduction chapter and request there :')