━ [86]

Alex's POV

I stood there in our home and watched as Val sat quietly on the couch, staring out the window as the rain poured outside.

She's been sitting like that for a while, not bothering to speak to me as I sat near her or even asked a question.

I had a feeling I knew what this was about. Jack. She was worried about what they were going to do with him.

He was in the Los Angeles Police Department getting questioned by FBI, and many police officers. I'd gotten news on what they were going to go do with him. They were sending him to Rikers, and he was sentenced there for life. He'd most likely die in there from what I've heard. I didn't really feel bad one bit, I just wanted Val to be happy.

I wanted to tell Val, but I figured it'd be better If I didn't just yet. But I really wanted too.

"Val, what ya thinking about?" I asked, my arms crossing across my chest. She glanced over at me, pulled the fluffy blanket up closer onto her and then proceeded to look out the window. Sighing I came over and sat next to her, my hand going to place on her thigh, but she just moved it away and then turned back to me, a seriousness fading over her.

"Why are they sending him to Rikers?" She asked out of nowhere. I hadn't even mentioned it to her and somehow she knew.

I didn't know how she'd heard about this. Maybe the phone call I'd taken earlier had given her the news? But that didn't explain at all how she knew.

"How do you know about that?" I questioned, eyes squinting at her quizzically. She huffed and rolled her eyes, nodding over to the phone on the nearby glass table.

"He called me. Explained you were sending him to Rikers, they might put him on death row!" She seemed very angry. First of all how did Jack call her? The officers who called me specifically told me he didn't have rights to call anyone for the time being right now, except his parents. I didn't quite understand why she was showing this much anger about the situation.

"That place is dangerous, Alex. People die in there!" She snapped, confusing the hell out of me. "He deserves it! Do you even understand the seriousness of what's he's done?" I snapped back, just as angry at her sudden outburst. "I do, but that doesn't mean he gets life in one of the most secured prisons in the world!"

"Trust me, if I had that choice I'd send him anywhere else but there. You do realize he brought his upon himself, Valerie" she glared at me angrily and stood up from the couch. Her finger was angrily pointed at me, "well you made the situation worse" I didn't understand how I could've made the situation worse. If anything I made it better, she wouldn't be in danger anymore.

"I just saved you, and this is what you wanna tell me? He's psycho! He's killed people, kidnapped you, and stalked you for years!"

"I know that! but I don't like seeing a perfectly normal life going down the drain!

"I can't believe you right now, a perfectly normal life?! Nothing about him is normal!" I was getting more angry the more she kept trying to protect him. I didn't understand the sudden change on how she felt about him. She stayed silent, and something in me told me that she knew that he wasn't normal at all, but she'd always most likely have the last word. It's how she was. Which I respected. But I was angry, and she just didn't seem to understand that I had the right to be mad.