Chapter Two

Azrael's P.O.V.
I pushed the nephilim back. I was heavily panting. The nephilim was still going as strong as before. I just hoped that girl made it to Paradise safely. My only job was to protect and deliver spirits to their eternal homes. Either to Paradise or Perdition.
The nephilim sliced my back open. I turned around to counter-attack but I was too slow. At this rate, I would die before anyone came to help.
He pushed me backwards and I fell to the ground. He stepped on my wrist, forcing me to release my grip on the sword. He looked down at me, grining in a sick manner.
"Let's see what's under that oversized cloak of yours." The nephilim mused. "It'll be nice to know before I kill you."
I squirmed underneath his weight. So this was it. This is how the Angel of Death would end? I set my jaw and hardened my eyes expression. The nephilim removed my hood.
The nephilim took a sharp breath in. He seemed surprised that I wasn't a pile of bones. I smirked at his shock.
"Shocked nephilim." I scoffed.
He growled and hit my face with the hilt of his sword. I grimanced, looking up at this nephilim. I could see the bloodlust in his eyes.
He got down on his knees, straddling me. He pulled out a knife and slowly dragged it across my throat. I stared into the nephilim's black eyes. He was able to use glamours. That's how he had brown eyes earlier.
"Get off of him!" A familier voice cried.
The nephilim looked up in shock. He jumped away from me and took off running. But not before he sliced my stomach open.
"Take care of Azrael. I'm going after the nephilim." He ordered.
"Be safe Michael." The other responded, kneeling next to me. "Lay still Azrael."
"I didn't plan on moving Raphael." I stated faintly. "Do you know if the girl made it to Paradise alright?"
"She did. Michael had Gabe bring her the rest of the way there." Raphael answered. "There, your stomach is healed. Do you have any other injuries?"
I rolled over, showing Raphael my back. He sighed, healing my back.
"Azrael, I have to ask you. Why? Why didn't you continue running with the girl?" Raphael pressed.
"My job is not only to deliver souls to their homes, but to also protect them." I answered. "I wanted to exterminate this nephilim to protect the other spirits."
"He's taken care of." Michael interrupted. "Is Azrael well enough to walk?"
"Yes, he can walk. He needs a more extensive check up when we get home." Raphael answered. "And we need to call the Archangel Court. That girl means something and we need to figure out what to do with her."
"I agree. Azrael, we'll need you there. But we'll get you checked first." Michael said. "Let's go."
Michael and Raphael helped me stand. Together we made it to Paradise without any issues. I pulled my hood over my head again, but many of the angels that saw us stopped.
I knew it was because of the three of us. It wasn't common to see Michael and Raphael helping the Angel of Death. Much less to see the Angel of Death's clothing saturated in blood.
Michael parted with me and Raphael as we continued to the medical bay.
Rahpael sat me down on a bed and forced me to take my cloak off. I did so reluctantly, feeling exposed without it. He brought me a white robe to wear for the Archangel Court and checked me for anymore wounds.
"It's shocking he didn't harm you anymore than what you suffered." Raphael muttered.
"Ah, yes. I'm rather lucky." I scoffed. "I was attacked by a nephilim that nearly killed me. How is that lucky."
"You're not dead, are you?" Raphael countered. "Come on, I'm sure the court will start soon. It's better to be on time unless you want an earful from my brother."
"True," I conceeded.
We stood up and left the medical bay, making our way to the court. When we arrived, everything was a scene of disarray and chaos. I didn't know what was going on, but Michael was in the middle and Raphael rushed forward seeing his brother.
"What's going on?" I asked Uriel.
Uriel was only slightly shorter than myself. He could be cocky, but he was genrally polite to his peers. He had orange hair and hazel eyes. His feathers looked like the sun. He was much younger than many of the angels, but he got along with most of them easily.
"I'm not sure exactly." He responded. "I think it involves the spirit you picked up. Rosaline was here to take her to get fitted with clothing for court. As soon as Gabriel walked inside, we all heard a bloodcurdling scream. It wasn't an angel, so we rushed out and we saw a nephilim attacking the two. But there's only one problem. It was one of our nephilim. If it hadn't been for Rosaline's combat abilities, they would both be dead."
"The girl and I were attacked on our way through Purgatory. By one of Lucifer's nephilim." I stated.
"Where's Ember, damnit!" Michael shouted.
"No one's called for her!" Another angel called out.
Of course Ember might know something! She was Lucifer's only child. She knew most of what went on in Paradise and Perdition. She had a lot of connections in Perdition, even with her disowning her father.
"Here I am Uncle Michael!" She called, crashing next to me.
I helped her stand and she pushed and shoved her way into the middle of the circle.
The crowd was becoming unbearable and I was about to lose my mind on everyone if I didn't get away.
"Everyone needs to leave and go about their business!" Ember yelled above the clammer.
Everyone quieted, but no one left. "Listen to her, all of you!" Michael ordered.
The crowd instantly dispersed at Michael's commands. I looked around and stayed where I was. Maybe I could be of help? I was the Angel of Death after all.
Michael looked up at me and shook his head. Lying on the ground, staring with a glassy and dead expression was my daughter. The nephilim that had attacked Rosaline and the girl was my daughter, Petunia.