Chapter Nine

New Chapter!! The next chapter will probably come out in the next day because of the cliffhanger, so you know! Enjoy!

-theselectionseriesfan

"Father, I would like to make a new system that I think would benifit Illea very much," I told him when he left the meeting, and we walked to the dining room for dinner.

"First off, why is your suit wrinkled?" he sighed in annoyance. "Anyways, what is it," he asked, not really enthused.

"I was informed within the past few days, that the lower castes are starving, so I thought we could create something to reduce that. If the lower castes aren't starving all the time, then the rate of theft will probably go down," I explained.

"And how do you expect we do that?" Father asked, impatiently.

"I was thinking we could some sort of public assistance for food in each Province. It may be a while until this could go into action, maybe 3 months?"

"And how would we get the money to do this?" Father asked again.

I knew what he was doing, he was trying to find a fault in my plan, give me another lesson about how kings must be prepared for everything, how he had more experience, and all that. But this time I was prepared.

"I think we should remove the money that we are giving to the Selected that are Twos and Threes. The Fours and Fives will get less payment. It could also test to see if they are here for the money" I said.

"Good to see you are actually taking this somewhat seriously, Maxon. Maybe some of the girls with lower castes will ask to drop out." Father said, nodding in slight approval. I was surpised, that has been the closest I would probably get to a compliment from my Father. But something told me that he wasn't too happy about this.

We walked into the dining room. "I was also thinking that we could ask the upper castes to donate some food to the program if they wanted to, so it wouldn't use tooo much money." I said lowering my voice a bit.

Father nodded, but he seeme a little put out. "Tell the ladies about the money now, but don't tell them why quite yet, we need to work out somemore details," he said, patting me on the back as we reached the head table. Father turned toward the girls, and his face flooded with enthusiasm. "Oh, goodness, dear ladies, please sit," he said to the standing girls. Father kissed Mom and sat down, as I remained standing.

"Ladies, I have an announcement," I said, my voice carrying across the room. Every eye was focused on me, all questioning. "I know you were all promised compensation for your participation in the Selection. However, there have been some new monetary allocations. If you are a natural Two or a Three, you will no longer be receiving financing. Fours and Fives will continue to receive compensation, but it will be slightly less than what it has been so far." A lot of the girls had shocked looks on their face. "I do apologize for any inconvenience, but I will explain this all tomorrow night on the Capital Report. And this is a nonnegotiable situation. If anyone has a problem with this new arangement and no longer wants to participate, you may leave after dinner."

I sat down and started to talk to Father, "I was also thinking that I should maybe start out the Report tomorrow, tell Illea about the program, and then Gavril could continue with what he had planned." He nodded, but he was more interested in his dinner than what I was talking about, so I just continued to eat. There were murmurs coming up from where the girls were sitting, but I didn't try to figure out what they were saying. Their questions would be answered tomorrow.

--

There was a sea of blue dresses when I walked into the Report room. Well, except for one. America was wearing a stunning red dress, different than the others. Gosh she was beautiful. She was talking with the girls around her, upset about something, but she calmed down as she talked with them.

"Good Evening, ladies," I said, smiling. A chorus of "Highness" and "Majesty" rang out from the girls. "Just so you know, I'll be giving one brief announcement and then introducing Gavril. It'll be a nice change; he's always introducing me!" I chuckled, and the ladies giggled. "I know some of you are probably a little nervous, but you have no need to be. Please, just be yourselves. The people want to know you" I said, meeting America's eyes a couple times. "Good luck!" I called as I walked to the podium.

I took a deap breath as the anthem played. "Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen of Illea. I know that tonight is an exciting night for us all as the country gets to finally hear from the twenty-five remaining women in the Selection. I can't begin to express how excited I am for you to meet them. I'm sure you will all agree that any one of these amazing young ladies would be a wonderful leader and future princess."

"But before we get to that, I'd like to announce a new project I am working one that is of great importance to me. Having met these ladies, I've been exposed to the wide world outside our palace, a world that I rarely get to see. I've been told of its remarkable goodness and made aware of its unimaginable darkness. Through speaking to these women, I've embraced the importance of the masses outside these walls. I have been woken to the suffering of some of our lower castes, and I intend to do something about it."

"It will be at least three months before we can set this up properly, but around the new year, there will be pubilc assistance for food in every Province Services Office. Any Five, Six, Seven, or Eight may go there any evening for a free, nutritious meal. Please know that these women before you have all sacrificed some or ll of their compensation to help fund this important program. And while this assistance may not be able to last forever, we will keep it running for as long as we can. I feel that no good leader an let the masses go unfed. Most of Illea is comprised of these lower castes, and we have overlooked these people far too long. That is why I am moving forward and why I am asking others to join me. Twos, Threes, Fours... the roads you drive on don't pave themselves. Your houses aren't cleaned by magic. Here is your opportunity to acknowlege that truth by donating at your local Province Sevices Office."

I paused, thinking for a second and letting that sink in for the viewers. "By birth you have been blessed, and it is time to acknowledge that blessing. I will have further updates as the project progesses, and I thank you all for your attention. But now, let's get to the real reason you all tuned in tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Gavril Fadaye!" There was a smattering applause from everyone in the room.

"Thank you so much for that introduction, Your Majesty!" Gavril announced as he walked on set. "Very well done! If this whole prince thing doesn't work out, you should consider a job in entertainment." I laughed as I walked to my seat.

To be continued.... ;)