Chapter Fifteen

Juan Diego and Abril. They were the answer to saving Marlee and Carter's lives.

It was perfect. They were from Panama and had sold themselves into service to the palace. All I needed was their agreement to work with me.

Standing up from my chair, I snatched the letter I had written for Marlee and Carter and my metal box full of medical supplies. I pulled on the brown hooded cloak and stepped out of my room. My butler had proved more useful than I imagined.

Taking the back route, I traveled down sets of steep stairs and headed to the cells. Every noise made me stop, paranoid that someone would find me.

Once I had reached the cells, I quietly unlocked and opened the room that I knew Marlee and Carter were in. Their bodies lay on cots, not moving. I swallowed and walked over to a small table in a corner. I opened the metal box and pulls out the necessary jars and bandages. Setting the note on the table, I latched the box closed and left the room, taking a quick look at Marlee and Carter's bodies.

I will be back.

I quickly moved towards the kitchens, trying my best not to look behind me. It would make me look suspicious if I did, and I couldn't afford to be caught. As Irounded a corner, I bumped into someone. I could practically feel my heart leap out of my chest.

I relaxed once I saw who I had bumped into. My butler was on time.
"Here," I whispered, handing him my box.

My butler gave me a quick nod, and headed to the medical wing to return my box. I continued to the kitchens, determined to find Abril and Juan Diego.

The noise of pans clanking against other pans grew, and I neared the kitchen. Taking a deep breath, I looked for the closest maid.

"Excuse me," I asked a girl in a uniform.

"What do you want?" She snapped, taking me by surprise. Realizing that she didn't know who I was, I continued.

"I'm looking for Abril and Juan Diego," I said quietly. Please don't recognize my voice.

"Why do you want them?" She demanded.

"I can't say. Orders came from pretty high up."

The maid gave me a long stare before shrugging. "They live in the third room down that hallway." She pointed to a dark hall.

"Thank you." I could barely contain my smile as I followed her point. I knocked on the third door, and waited.

The door opened by a man with dark hair. "Can I help you?"

"Are you Juan Diego?" I asked.

His eyes narrowed, but he nodded.

"May I come in?"

The man stepped aside, and I walked into his cramped room.

"Who's this?" A woman asked, standing from her bed.

"How sound proof are these walls?" I whispered.

"Not very," the woman answered.

"Then be very quiet," I replied, pulling off my hood.

The man and woman gasped and immediately sank into a bow and curtsey. "Your H-"

"Shh." I hissed. "I need your help. You are Juan Diego and Abril, correct?"

Abril nodded, rising from her curtsey.

"Good," I whispered. "I need you to switch with Marlee Tames and Carter Woodwork. My Father is sending them to Panama."

Juan Diego's eyes widened. "Panama? As Eights?"

I nodded, as Abril and Juan Diego exchanged glances.

"We accept," Abril answered.

I sighed in relief. I didn't know what I would have done if they had declined.
"Get your brown cloaks, and follow me. We need to be fast."

-o-

I unlocked the door to Marlee and Carter's cell, and the three of us moved into the room.

I pulled off my hood, and Marlee gasped. She rose to her feet to embrace me, but she hissed in pain from her hands.

"It will be alright," I promised. "The salve takes a few days to get everything back to normal, but, Carter, even you should be walking on your own soon. You'll heal much faster than most."

I turned to the people next to me, and they removed their brown hoods. "This is Juan Diego and Abril. Until today they have worked in the palace. Now you will be trading places with them. Marlee, if you and Abril will go into the corner, the gentlemen and I will avert our eyes while you trade clothes. Here." I handed Marlee another cloak. "This will help with some privacy."

Marlee turned to Abril. "Of course."

As they moved to the corner, I turned to Carter. "Carter, we're going to have to put your pants back on you. We'll help you stand."

Carter grunted in pain as Juan Diego and I slowly helped him up. We put the cloak on him and pulled the hood over his head. "Now just hold on to my arm," I coaxed as Carter moved to grip my arm.

"All right. Abril, Juan Diego, the guards should be coming to this room. Use the bandages and walk like you're hurt," I instructed. "I think they plan to put you on a bus and ship you off. Just keep your heads down. No one's going to look at you too closely. You're supposed to be Eights. No one will care."

"Thank you, Your Highness," Juan Diego said. "I never thought we'd see our mother again."

"Thank you," I replied. "Your willingness to leave the palace is saving their lives. I won't forget what you've done for them."

Marlee gave Abril one last look, before turning back to me.

"Okay," I said, pulling my hood on. "Let's go."

I led them into the hall, Carter limping and leaning against me.

"Won't people be suspicious?" Marlee whispered.

"No," I answered, checking around each corner anyways. "Lower-level staff, like kitchen workers or general cleaners, aren't supposed to show their faces upstairs. If they absolutely must come up, they're covered like this. Anyone who sees us will think we're done with a task and heading back to our rooms."

Sorry for making you all wait so long again!

-theselectionseriesfan