Chapter Seven

I couldn't sleep again. The reasons for it was the same as usual.

Thinking about what I could do to help Illea.

What type of dates to go on with the Elite.

The Elite.

Who to eliminate.

America.

I knew how I felt for her, but was she really truthful when she said that she wanted me? Doubt filled me again, as I turned over in my bed.

After another hour, I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to do something to keep my mind off her. I turned on a lamp, and climbed out of bed, stretching a little. I walked over to my cameras and picked up the one I used at the date I had with Celeste. Looking through all the pictures I had taken, an idea finally came to me.

I grabbed a box by my bedside table and walked over to my collage of photos by the door to my room. Right now, there were only pictures of the palace and places that I had been, like New Asia or Honduragua. I studied the collage, and carefully opened the box and took out it's contents. I began putting up pictures of the Selected that I had taken, and a few from magazines. America's Selection application photo, pictures I had taken of the girls at the tea party, and dozens more were added to my collage. I kept on adding more and more, making sure to space out the pictures evenly.

By the time that most of the pictures in the box were up on the wall, I started to feel worn out. Putting the remaining photos back in the box, I walked back to my bed and layed down. I stared at the collage, moonlight from my windows bouncing off the glossy pictures. The collage would be something America would like, I thought, rolling over again, sleep finally coming to me.

-o-

"Good Morning, my dear." I said to Kriss, as we met in the hallway.

"Good Morning, Maxon," Kriss responded, smiling a little. "What are we going to do today?"

"Well, I was thinking we could do some archery outside," I said holding out my arm for her.

Kriss took it, and nodded. "Alright. I just have never done it before. You may have to teach me."

"Not a problem." I responded, leading us outside.

The light warm breeze tickled us, as we walked over to where two targets were set up. It really was a beautiful day. I picked up a bow and a few arrows and handed them to Kriss. "When you are shooting, you have to have relax. Stand like this." I instructed, showing her.

Slowly, but surely, Kriss was starting to get the hang of it. We shot arrows at the two targets, and I stopped every once in a while to help her and give tips. It really was quite fun. I quickly checked my watch, and noticed that my relatives would be arriving soon. Plus, I still needed to do a little work. Especially on the Halloween party.

"How is progress on your costume doing? Did you choose a design from your maids yet?" I asked Kriss.

"Oh yes. I would tell you which, but I want it to be a surprise," she responded, shooting another arrow.

"Ah. Keeping secrets from me?" I asked, laughing.

Kriss smiled and turned away to shoot another arrow.

-o-

I was swamped with work. Father was probably giving every type of paperwork, that he trusted me with, to do. Plus, I had to approve some last minute preperations with the Halloween party. Which meant working every chance I could, and skipping dinner with the Elite all week. The week had both dragged on slowly and passed so quickly. Before I knew it, it was Friday.

All throughout The Report, I was thinking about the Elite. Who would I eliminate next week at the Halloween party? America was certainly out of the question. I knew how I felt for her. I couldn't eliminate Marlee, for she was the public's favorite. Celeste was as well. Elise had ties with New Asia... So that left Kriss and Natalie. They were both so sweet.... Kriss especially. But Natalie was my Father's favorite. Ugh! I couldn't do this here.

The second The Report was finished, I raced out of the room and ran to mine. I really needed to figure out who I was going to eliminate. I pulled out the Elite's application files an spread them out on my table. I wrote some Pros and Cons of each girl on sheets of paper, hoping it would help a little. I must have been studying them for hours before I realized that I didn't go see America after The Report. But it was already 11, so I grudgingly decided to not bother her and attempt to sleep.

That soon failed when the thoughts of the Elite filled my brain again. There was no getting away from it. I had to choose someone to go, and fast.