Chapter Ten

I surveyed the crowded room and smiled when I found who I was looking for. The best part of the evening had come: spending time with America.

I came up behind America as she sat down in a chair. "My lady?" I asked as America turned to me. "May I have this dance?" She paused for a split second. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the fact that I wanted to be with her so badly. "Of course."

I took her soft hand and walked her to the dance floor. The band played a slow song as I held America close to me. I inhaled her scent as she began saying something.

"I was wondering if I was going to get a dance at all." "I was saving this one," I responded. "I've put in time with all the girls, so my obligations are over. Now I can enjoy the rest of the evening with you." I pulled her even closer.

"You look lovely, America," I whispered. "Much too beautiful to be on the arm of a scraggly pirate." America giggled, a musical sound to my ears. "How could you have possibly dressed to match? Come as a tree?"

"At the very least, some type of shrubbery."

She laughed again. "I would pay money to see you dressed as a shrubbery!" "Next year," I promised.

She looked to me. "Would you like that? For us to have another Halloween party next October?" I asked. What she said next nearly made my heart stop. "Will I even be here next October?"

I stopped dancing, not caring if it drew attention. "Why wouldn't you?"

America shrugged. "You've been avoiding me all week, dating the other girls. And... I saw you talking to my dad. I thought you might be telling him why you had to kick out his daughter." She swallowed.

"America." I whispered.

"I get it." She looked to me. "Someone has to go, and I'm a Five, and Marlee's the people's favorite-"

"America, stop."

All of a sudden everything made sense. "I am such an idiot. I had no idea you'd see it that way. I thought you felt secure in your standing."

I could tell my the look on her face that she was confused. I sighed. "Honestly? I was trying to give the other girls a supporting chance. From the beginning, I've really only looked at you, wanted you." She ducked her head.

"When you told me how you felt, I was so relieved that a part of me didn't believe it. I had a hard time accepting that it was real. You'd be surprised how infrequently I get something I truly want."

My thoughts quickly turned to my Father. My back. All that pain. I quickly shook it away, and started to sway to the music again.

"I was afraid I was wrong, that you would change your mind any second. I've been looking for a suitable alternative, but the truth is..."-I looked into her eyes- "there's only you. Maybe I am not really looking, maybe they aren't right for me. It doesn't matter. I just know I want you. And that terrifies me. I've been waiting for you to take back the words, to beg to leave."

"Maxon, that's not going to happen," America whispered into my neck. "If anything, you're going to realize that I am not good enough."

"Darling, you're perfect." I breathed into her ear.

She pulled me to her, and I did the same. We had never been this close before. I let myself enjoy it. It was just us, swaying to the music. Not caring about the people around us.

America pulled back to look at me, and wiped her eyes. "I want us to take our time," I began. "After I announce the dismissal tomorrow, that will appease the public and my father, but I don't want to rush you at all. I want you to see the princess's suite. It adjoins mine actually," I said quietly.

"I think you should start deciding what you want in there," I continued. "I want you to feel completely at home. You'll have to pick a few more maids, too, and figure out if you want your family in the palace or just nearby. I'll help you with everything."

"Soon, when it is proper for me to end the Selection, when I propose to you, I want it to be as easy as breathing for you to say yes. I promise to do everything in my power between now and that moment to make it that way. Anything you need, anything you want, say the words. I will do everything I can for you."

She was speechless, staring at me. "That's not fair, Maxon," she mumbled. "What in the world am I supposed to give you?"

I smiled. "All I want is your promise to stay with me, and be mine. Sometimes it feels like you can't possibly be real. Promise me you'll stay."

"Of course. I promise."

My heart was beating so hard, I was surprised it hadn't beaten out of my chest. America rested her head on my shoulder, and we slow danced for song after song.

"Maxon?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Why were you talking with my dad?"

I smiled. "He is aware of my intentions. And you should know that he approves wholeheartedly, so long as you're happy. That seemed to be his only stipulation. I assured him that I would do everything I could to see that you were, and I told him that you seemed happy here already."

"I am."

My chest filled with happiness. "Then he and I both have everything we need."

I moved my hand slightly to her lower back, encouraging her to remain close to me. I wanted her to know that it was all real. I needed to know that it was real, that America had chosen me.

*sighs* Don't you just love Maxerica moment such as these?

Comment your thoughts!

-theselectionseriesfan