i. Birthdays & first meetings

The smell of coffee and fried potatoes woke Tatum one Summer morning. The date was June 14, 1996 and it was Tatum's twentieth birthday. The brunette got out of bed with a stretch and ran her fingers through her tangled hair. She walked over hers and Percy's clothing to get to the hallway and found her boyfriend of one year cooking breakfast contently.

"Morning love." She said.

"Ah, this was supposed to be breakfast in bed." Percy said holding a tray of coffee, hash browns and biscuits.

"It still can be." " Besides, we're more dressed for the bedroom than the dining room wouldn't you say?"
Tatum referred to their lack of clothing.

"I'll let the cheeky remarks slide today but only because it's your birthday." He said pulling her into a kiss.

"What happens if I'm cheeky and it's not my birthday?" She said feigning confusion.

"You'll find out."

"That'll be eight pounds sir." Tatum accepted the money from the elderly man and smiled kindly.
Her assistant and long time friend Lola Cohen was busy stocking shelves when Lola's boyfriend Ryder strolled in.

"Afternoon ladies."

"Afternoon Ryder." The two women said in unison.

"Happy birthday Tatum, only the best for you." Ryder presented Tatum with a wrapped gift.

"Oh bloody hell." She sighed and ripped it open to find a cookbook titled: 100 Ways to Cook Carrots.
For as long Tatum had known Ryder, he had been the worst at gift giving. He once gave Lola a heart shaped cactus for Valentine's Day.

"Thanks Ry, I'll cherish it for the rest of my life." Tatum said dryly.

"Your so welcome." He winked and went to help Lola.

"No Ryder please don't help me." "The last time you dropped something worth more than my car!" Lola pointed out anxiously.

"Don't worry love, I've got it under control." Ryder said as the glass he was holding slipped through his fingers and shattered.

"I'll get the dustpan." Lola sighed.

"Right." Ryder said wringing his hands as he went behind the counter next to Tatum.

"You don't work here." "You do realize that?" Tatum inquired.

"Yes, I know." "Can't a friend stand next to another friend?"

"Not in this case, no." Tatum shooed Ryder away just as Lola came back.

"Here." Lola said shoving the dustpan in Ryder's face.

Ryder took it and stuck his tongue out at her.

"So." Lola began. "What time do you want us to come over tonight?"

"Well Percy gets off work at ten but he gets come quickly so 10:30."

"Alright." Lola said. "We'll be there at ten."

Tatum rolled her eyes. "Why did you even ask?"

"It's polite." She shrugged.