vi. Answers

"What in the hell?"

Tatum did a double take. Her eyes seemed to be deceiving her; the pictures on the newspaper clippings moved! No matter how many times Tatum slapped, or pinched herself, this wasn't a dream she was going to wake up from. This was real life.

"How is this possible?" She wondered.

"Magic."

Tatum jumped and set the bag down. Behind her was Percy, with a pained expression clear on his face.

"Percy, I-"

"No, please let me explain." He interrupted her.

Tatum bit her lip and nodded.

"I wasn't going to tell you." He began. "I stupidly thought I could hide who I was forever and just live life, with you." "But, I guess I couldn't have escaped it, no matter how hard I tried."

Tatum took a step closer to Percy and fixated her gaze on his. "Percy, what do you mean, when you say who you are?"

Percy took a deep breathe and closed his eyes shut, bracing himself.

"I'm a wizard."

A moment of painful silence followed his confession.

"I believe you." She said.

Percy breathed out sharply. "You believe me?"

"With all the secrets and the moving pictures, yes Percy, I believe that your a wizard." Tatum said.

Percy started pacing up and down the apartment. "You wouldn't tell anyone, but that doesn't matter." "It's the law, Percy." He told himself. "You know the law."

"What law?" Asked Tatum getting scared.

"You can't know about magic- I have to modify your memory."

In a state of panic Percy pulled out his wand.

"Percy, wait!" Tatum put out her arms to stop him.

"I don't want to forget about magic, because if I forget about magic, I forget about you." "I can't lose you." She inched closer to him, slowly reaching for his hand.

"Percy, please."

Percy was on the verge of tears at this point and his hand was shaking violently. "I have to keep you safe." He said.

"Please." Tatum whispered as fresh tears spilled down her face. "You don't want to do this."

"Of course I don't want to do this!" Percy said in an exasperated tone.

"Then why are you?" Tatum raised her voice.

"Because I love you, Tatum!" Percy said, copying Tatum's tone.

A soft clanking noise filled the apartment.

Tatum grabbed Percy's wand and dropped it onto the floor.

"I love you too much to lose you." Tatum said as she kept a stern gaze on Percy.

Percy took a deep breathe. "This is probably the most reckless, selfish thing I've ever done...but- I-I can't lose you either."

Percy and Tatum, still shaken up from the nights event, sat down together and Percy answered all of Tatum's questions.

"What's that?" She asked pointing to his wand.

"This is my wand." He told her. "I can't do magic without it- well in theory I could, but that'd take years of practice."

"Wow, the only time I've ever seen a magic wand is at my eight birthday party when my mum hired a magician." Said Tatum. "His wand doesn't look like yours though."

Percy grinned at this. "Yes, there are lots of stereotypes that muggles- non magical people, place around wizards and witches." "It's quite funny to see some of the stuff muggles come up with."

"Like what?"

"Like 'Hocus Pocus', that's not a real spell."

"Then show me a real spell." Tatum demanded.

Percy hesitantly picked up his wand and mouthed the words Expecto Patronum, causing a translucent, silver anteater to escape from the tip of his wand.

"I'll have to get used to that." Tatum said in slightly shaky voice, but amused nonetheless.

"I don't have to do magic around you, I've been doing a pretty good job for the past six months."

"Yeah, you've been doing an excellent job hiding who you really are, among other things." Tatum said in a hurt voice.

"I wanted to tell you about a million times Tatum." He said. "But each time, I remembered that you would never be safe if you knew."

"What's so bad about me knowing your a wizard?" Tatum inquired.

"Where I come from, there's a war brewing." Percy began. "The people I work for are too blind and cowardly to see it, but I know what's going to happen."

"I still don't see how this causes me any trouble."

"In the wizarding world, there are bad people, very bad." "Those people, they don't like nonmagical people...they kill nonmagical people." Percy swallowed. "Do you understand now?"

"Yes." Tatum said simply. She gripped Percy's hand tightly. "I will survive as long as I have you."