viii. Fill the void

The concept of movement or talking seemed to be suddenly foreign to everyone in the room. Bodies stood still in shock, trying to comprehend what the young woman had just said.

"His girlfriend?" Said Percy's mother.

This news seemed to cause the woman to break out into more hysterics and wrap her arms around Percy again.

"So that's why you brought her here." Said Ginny. Although, she still looked wary of Tatum, as if she wasn't fully believing her intentions.

"Hold on, just because she's Percy's girlfriend doesn't mean she's not working for you-know-who." Said one of the twins suggestively.

"You-know-who?" Tatum racked her brains. "You mean Voldemort?"

Tatum knew immediately she'd hit a nerve because everyone held their breathe and winced at the mentioning of the so called "Voldemort." Percy had told her about Voldemort and everything he's done, so she didn't really blame them for being scared of the name.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend any of you." Tatum said softly.

"It's alright love." Percy assured her.

Finally, Mr. Weasley spoke up.

"Tatum, could you show us your arms?" He asked pleasantly.

Tatum obliged, although she thought it was a pretty weird request.

"No mark, she's not a deatheater."

"It could be covered up." Argued George.

"Well then, lets find out."

Mr. Weasley brandished his wand and muttered a spell that sounded like the word reveal. Nothing happened.

"There you have it." Said Percy. "She's not a deatheater, just an endangered muggle."

Tatum wrinkled her nose. "Hey, I'm not a dinosaur or a dodo bird!"

"No, your a muggle, and muggles need the protection of wizards and witches."

Percy looked to his family desperately. "As I said before, I'm not asking you to do this for me, I don't expect anything from you." "All I'm asking is for you to find it in your hearts to care for Tatum."

"This is a safe house." Said Ginny. "Might as well keep someone safe in it."

The remainder of the night consisted of great turmoils. There was still so much tension in the air, that Tatum almost felt her throat close up. The Weasleys had finally accepted the fact that Tatum was just a mere muggle that needed their help, but  Tatum couldn't help but feel as though the twins and Ginny and were still not one hundred percent sure of her.

Mrs. Weasley insisted that Percy stay as well, Percy
immediately argued that he didn't need to.

"Oh shut up you prick." Grumbled Fred.

"Yeah, were not going to send off, do you really think that low of us Perce?" Said George.

For the first time in weeks, Tatum saw Percy smile. Genuinely smile, not that fake one he does when he's trying to reassure her.

For the first time in a long time, Tatum felt that things were going to okay.

Adjusting to life in a magical home was just as exciting as Tatum thought it would be. The pots and pans flew around the kitchen along with the ingredients, and Tatum had to remind herself several times to be aware of that. One morning, on her way to the table a carrot hit Tatum in the eye.

That was something she certainly wasn't used to.

"What exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" Mr. Weasley asked her one night after dinner.

"A rubber duck?" "Well, you can take baths with them"-

"Arthur stop badgering her, the poor girl looks exhausted." Said Mrs. Weasley.

It was true, Tatum eyes were itchy from lack of sleep and the bags under her eyes started getting bigger. The weight of the war got to her, and not being able to help only added to the load of stress. Percy insisted that she shouldn't intervene, terrified of something happening to her.

"I'm not a fragile little doll that's going to break at any moment." She would tell him. "I may not have magic but I can still fight in this war if it means keeping you and my friends safe."

"If it means keeping my family safe."

Years without her own family, Tatum had a void in her soul. The memories burned liked acid going down her throat. But now, she had found the Weasley's, and the Weasley's had filled the void.