NINETEEN.

Tommy was a disheveled mess as he sat at his desk. Bundles of cash were lined up in front of him all tied up with string. He knew what he was about to do. Something that will rip his family apart before his own eyes.

Curly and Charlie were first in to the big room. Michael, Polly and Olivia were next in with the rest of the family swiftly following. Olivia picked the seat next to Michael and Ada. They still hadn't spoken about their kisses, but the smiles and winks she was receiving told her that there was definitely something brewing.

"Before I begin, I want to let you know I made a mistake." Tommy's voice was hoarse from crying and vomiting yesterday. "I made a mistake and I want to apologise to all of you. Arthur,  you warned me about getting involved with Russian business. And you were right. I doubted your wife and for that I'm sorry. Linda I've added £3,000 in the hope that you'll forgive me."

Tommy slammed down the wad of cash in front of Arthur. His heavily pregnant wife waddled ever so slightly up to the table and quickly snatched the money.

"Apology accepted." Linda returned to her seat.

"Esme I doubted you as well." Tommy continued.

"Now John's got innocent lives on his conscience. Ordinary working men-" She began her rant as she swaddled her baby.

"Yeah alright Esme, got it." John shut her down.

"No. She's right. And you and Arthur are gonna have to share that burden. But I hope the house that you can buy with this can become a place of contemplation. Perhaps redemption." Tommy slammed another cash bundle down as John collected it.

"Charlie, for lost tools, dangerous goods and Curly's wise words. Johnny, for board and lodgings." Tommy flung three smaller rolls of notes at the men respectively.

"Lizzie." Tommy moved another roll of money her way. Instead of scooping it up and treasuring it, she simply shoved it back in his direction, hurt that he'd pay her for what they had after pulling her out of that scene.

"Olivia, for protecting my son and caring for him in the absence of his mother." Tommy chucked some money at her as she caught it.

"You don't have to." She sighed.

"No one else was stepping up to it, eh? Not even fucking me. Michael, for the killings." Tommy threw two pads of cash at him. "£5,000 for the cutting and £5,000 for the shooting."

"No Tommy-" Polly intercepted any chance of Michael receiving his reward.

"What, tell me, eh? This is who I am. And this is all I can give for what you've given me. Your hearts and your souls. Yesterday I nearly lost my son. You should fucking understand that." Tommy whispered as he pointed Pol directly in the face. "For what? For this, for this?" Tommy laughed as he gestured to the walls and ceilings. "And I know you all want me to say that I'll change. That this fucking business will change. But I've learnt something in the past few days. Those bastards, those bastards! Are worse than us. Politicians, fucking judges, lords and ladies. They are worse than us. And they will never admit us to their palaces no matter how legitimate we become. Because of who we are. Because of who we fucking are, and where we fucking and from. Isn't that right Ada? Our Ada knows. She got smart about the revolution.  And she knows you have to get what you want your own way. Lizzie, I want it known that the money was for you, because some nights it was you that stopped my heart from breaking. No one else. And the rest of you, you took the King's shilling. You took the King's fucking shilling. When you take the King's shilling the King expects you to kill. Right Arthur?" Tommy  asked.