FORTY TWO.

SNOW HILL STATION, BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND.

Of all the bitter and twisted things Michael had done in his life, this was the worst, Olivia seethed to herself quietly. Perhaps she was wrong for pinning the blame on Michael when it was Gina's idea, but she still couldn't forgive him. He'd already missed one of his son's birthdays, now he had gotten married on his son's second birthday.

It had been a few days since the fateful day. Olivia worked her hardest to make sure Ellis celebrated his birthday in style aboard the ship, and worked even harder to keep him away from the makeshift wedding ceremony taking place on the same deck as them. She practically drowned him in gifts as she made sure absolutely none of them were left back in Detroit. Seeing his expression blossom into that of joy somehow managed to push all of her anger and upset to the back of her head. Her son was happy, and he loved her. That was all she would need.

Nothing lasts forever she soon learnt. She and Gina were waiting in the foyer of the train station, knowing Polly was waiting to collect them all. Gina was stood like she had been electrocuted due to her awkwardness whist Michael retrieved their luggage from the train. He had every reason to be afraid, knowing his acid-tongued mother was waiting outside ready to burn him, but he showed no emotion. If anything, Olivia was the most nervous.

"Michael, honey, do you think you could hurry up?" Gina asked with irritation lacing her words.

"I'm coming sweetheart." Michael replied halfheartedly as he handed some money over the ticket booth counter.

He soon joined Gina and gave her a small peck on the lips.

"El, who are we going to meet today?" Olivia crouched down to her son's height and spoke loudly, hoping to remind the newlyweds that there was a child in their presence.

"Nanny!" Ellis yelled back, twisting a leaf he'd thieved from a potted plant between his tiny hands.

"Who else?"

"Tom and Arty and Finn!" Ellis proudly told his mum.

"Well aren't you clever?" She scooped him up and praised him, knowing full well he was only copying what she has taught him. She wanted Ellis to know his family's names seeing as they were the only family he would have after her constant bereavements.

"Olivia?" Michael pulled her out of her bubble. "I'm going out first, then I'll bring out Gina alright? It's nothing against you before you try and twist it that way, I just think it's important to introduce my mother to my wife."

"Fine by me." She shrugged.

It wasn't fine. Polly had never met her grandson, and in Olivia's eyes the bond between them was stronger and more important than anything Gina could ever amount to.

Without the young couple smothering her with their overt and frankly boring affection for each other, she could finally breath. In the deep breath she took, every corner of her lungs was filled with the smell of factory smoke. It was home. It was her mum and dad, it was her brother. It was the Shelby family, who had shown her nothing but love. It was her son's new home, whether Michael wanted it to be or not.

"Hey, now they've gone, I can introduce you all properly." Olivia sat down on a creaking wooden chair by the door. She pulled out an age-faded photo from her trench coat pocket, and held it out so both she and Ellis could see.

"Now see this is Nanny Polly, she's the only nanny you've got around so treat her nicely." Olivia told him, pointing out the characters in the picture. "That's Uncle Tommy, he looks ever so big and scary but the moment he sees you, he'll melt. This lovely lady is Auntie Ada, who will smother you in kisses when she sees you. That's Uncle Arty, he'll play rough and tumble with you whenever you want, he's really good at that. Uncle Finn is here, but he looks a lot bigger now."

Ellis broke out in a giggle as Olivia tickled his side.

"Now these two are a little different. You see the lovely lady in the green dress? That's Grace. Tommy loved her to bits and pieces, but she's not with us anymore. She's up in the sky with my brother and my parents, okay?"

Ellis nodded furiously. It was unlikely he was understanding any of what she was saying, but she had to tell him.

"This man here — " Olivia pointed to the final person in the picture. " — is Uncle John. He's gone too, and we miss him more and more everyday. He would've adored you." She mused as she ran her fingers through Ellis's small curls with a lump in her throat. "Don't tell Arthur, but John was always my favourite."

Raised voices from outside caught Olivia's attention, and she dashed over to the door still with Ellis on her hip.

"I did not betray my fucking family!" Michael bellowed across the street.

"Liv, babe, keep the kid out of this." Gina told her slyly, a smug smile tattooed on her face.

"He's got a fucking name you know!" Olivia screeched back, the tension of the boat trip finally devouring her.

For Arthur and Polly, Michael didn't seem quite so interesting anymore. Both of their states fell upon the little boy in Olivia's arms, who was still playing with his precious leaf.

"It's good to know not everyone's bloody changed." Polly announced with a grin on her face as she finally met eyes with Olivia.

"Come on Liv, mum's booked us all a suite down at the Midland Hotel! You know, Tommy's little kingdom." Michael bellowed, his voice dripping with venom.

"No I haven't." Polly took a puff of her cigarette. "I booked the suite for you two. Olivia is staying with me."

Michael was more in shock than anything, with perhaps a dash of embarrassed. He couldn't handle not being the top dog, and it was almost humorous to see him writhe with distress.

"Welcome to the family, Gina Gray." Polly shouted to her as Michael dragged his wife down the street and away from the melee that was his own family.

Michael had ever so sweetly left all her luggage by the door, rather than taking it in with his and Gina's.

"Never mind Gina Gray, I want to meet Ellis Gray!" Arthur plucked the kid out of Olivia's arms and held him close to his chest.

"Oh look at him." Polly cooed, holding Ellis's hand.

"El, who's this?" Olivia asked, pointing to Polly.

"Nanny!"

"My beautiful grandson." Polly sighed and pulled the young boy in for a hug. If Liv didn't know any better, she could've sworn a tear escaped Polly's eye. "Just as pretty as his mummy, eh?"

The first sign of affection Olivia had had in a long time finally sent her over the edge, and she too broke down into tears.

"Oh darling." Arthur guided her sobbing figure into his embrace before giving her a kiss on the forehead. "Welcome home."

"God, I've never been so grateful for having lungs full of factory smoke."

a/n: i'm so sorry i keep abandoning this book but also so grateful it's still getting reads! 312k is just insane and i certainly don't deserve it for the first fanfic i ever wrote, but thank you endlessly x