SEVEN

The phone buzz.

Seo Hyun immediately opens the message. It is from Yumi, reminding her to bring her P. E. uniform tomorrow. She gulps down before typing a reply message. It’s not that she’s dislike getting a message from her because she actually likes it…..It’s just that she’s hoping for another person to message her.

Ji Ah and Yumi are really nice girls and Seo Hyun likes hanging out with them. She thinks that their stories are engaging and their jokes are truly funny. She also enjoys going around with them….everything is new to her. Finally she’s having fun with friends.

Seo Hyun goes near the window and opens it. The cool evening air touches her face. She stares at the veranda next door. No one’s there. It’s been almost three days since she started having friends but sadly, her ‘neighbor’ stop talking to her too. She no longer sees him on the way home nor meets him outside to go to school. At school, whenever their eyes meet, Yonghwa gives her a slight smile so somehow she’s sure that he’s not mad at her. But he just doesn’t approach her or talk to her anymore.

She stares down at the phone in her hand. He never sent her any message after that day and she couldn’t help but wonder why.Seo Hyun closes her eyes.

            “This is where my part ends.” She remembers him saying that.

Was it only a help he gave a ‘neighbor’ like her? Does it mean that they aren’t even friends?

            But men and women can’t be friends her mind tells her.

She closes the window and goes to bed.

__________________________________________________________________

Seo Hyun changes into her tracksuit and pants. They have a P. E activity today, one thing she had always disliked during her student days.

            “You look really cute in this tracksuit Hyunie!” Yumi complements.

            “You literally look good in everything. Why can’t I be like that?” Ji Ah says with a pout.

            “Tie your hair up. Here, I’ll lend you mine.” Yumi hands over a hair tie to Seo Hyun.

She ties her hair in a ponytail and they go to the school ground.

Yonghwa is standing on a distance with some of the boys. He doesn’t seem to notice her because he’s busy talking with them. Seo Hyun secretly sighs.

            “Everyone, count off.” The P. E teacher, Kim Jong Kook orders.

The students started counting and the teacher told them that those who got odd numbers will be a team and same with those who got even numbers.

            “Hyunie, we’re in the same team!” Yumi says clasping her hands with her. “Poor Ji Ah…she has to be in the odd team.”

Yonghwa stands on the even team side which means that they will be teammates. The teacher stands in the middle while holding a ball in his hand.

            “Okay, we’ll play dodge ball.” He declares.

Seo Hyun breathes in. Ball game is the least she’d choose for a game.

            “Last two members for each team willbe the king/queen and the protector. The protector can take infinite hit without getting out as long as the king/queen won’t be touched by the ball. Clear?”

The students yell in excitement.

            “Look at her.” Yumi points to Ji Ah on the other side. The latter is making a face so Yumi sticks out her tongue to tease her back. Seo Hyun giggles a bit because of it.